Head replacement on 2858-gctid375559

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head replacement on 2858-gctid375559

I am considering going to an electric head on my 2858. It currently has a Jabsco manual head, and I am wondering if there is a model of electric head that may present the least hassle to install / convert. Has anyone had experience converting to an electric head? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. THANKS

I just finished installing a Jabsco Quiet Flush Household size electric in my 2858. Considering there is no "right" way to do this, I winged it. I'm happy to say that the finished project came out just fine, but it was a long process. I'm not a professional, but I expect better-than-pro results from myself, so it took me awhile. I've been wanting to post a thread in "Completed Projects," so maybe this will motivate me. I took photos the whole way too.

In a nutshell, I replaced the original 1.5" waste line with 1", attached it on top of the 2x4 in front of the fuel tank and covered it with aluminum diamond plate bent at 90 degrees, forming a small step above the waste line. Yeah it took awhile, but worth it. Cleaned up some wiring too. Then I installed the supplied Jabsco rinse pump, fed it from the original thru-hull for the head.

For the toilet itself, first remove the old one, scrape, level and clean the floor mounting space. I got a 27" x 12" x 3/4" piece of Starboard and cut to fit the floor. This took quite a while, perfectionist that I am. This served several purposes, mainly covering the original holes in the floor. Also, the new toilet has the macerator pump at the rear, and for clearance of the angled back wall, it needed to be raised up, so this worked out just right. I'll post a couple finished project photos here to give you an idea...

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/679031=26906-002.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/679031=26907-004.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/679031=26908-005.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/679031=26909-007.jpg[/img]
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
    "GetAway"
    Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Great job. Looks better than new! You must sit in there all day now and admire your work!
      Terry
      1999 Bayliner 3388
      Twin Cummins 4BTA
      Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
      Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

It IS much more comfortable...
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
        "GetAway"
        Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

Wow, what a great response, Pictures and everything!!

What a great install. I usually find when I do the job myself I get a better job, and certainly a lot more satisfaction doing it myself.

Do you find the electric head uses less water than a manual head? Therefore extending time between pumpouts? Also does your new head use the existing thru hull ( raw water ) or does it use water from your onboard water tank?

I have just purchased this 2002 2858 and am working through a few bugs. I have just discovered a water leak onto the carpeted stair directly inside the sliding door into the cabin, I suspect the water is comong in through the door somewhere, and will turn the hose on her tomorrow. Have you had any leaking onto the carpet inside the door?

Thanks again for your excellent response!!

Comment

Wally wrote:
            Wow, what a great response, Pictures and everything!!

What a great install. I usually find when I do the job myself I get a better job, and certainly a lot more satisfaction doing it myself.

Do you find the electric head uses less water than a manual head? Therefore extending time between pumpouts? Also does your new head use the existing thru hull ( raw water ) or does it use water from your onboard water tank?

I have just purchased this 2002 2858 and am working through a few bugs. I have just discovered a water leak onto the carpeted stair directly inside the sliding door into the cabin, I suspect the water is comong in through the door somewhere, and will turn the hose on her tomorrow. Have you had any leaking onto the carpet inside the door?

Thanks again for your excellent response!!
            You're quite welcome, and feel free to ask more questions, PM for phone info if you want. I believe it uses less water, and yes, I used the existing thru-hull. I can't find the pics of that plumbing and the pump, which also shows the new waste line and diamondplate step, I'll keep looking. You can get the toilet either way, with a dedicated pump for using raw water, or a solenoid to tap into the fresh water system. Where we boat the majority of the time, raw water is fine.

Regarding your wet carpet, I had a leak/wet carpet/ water in bilge I couldn't nail down, ironically, until I did this install. One day the fresh water pump was on, and I was feeding wire or something under the bathroom sink, through the access panel, right by the sliding door. I could feel a fine mist... Turns out the faucet connection has a crack in it. It won't take long for you to check out...
            Jeff & Tara
            (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
            "GetAway"
            Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

Thanks again Jeff, I'll post results after the head install.

AS for the leak, I think the seal between the door frame and the fiberglass at the top is where the water is coming in......we'll see.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
              X