After winter mechanical issues, cracked engine?-gctid375509

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After winter mechanical issues, cracked engine?-gctid375509

The drivetrain is a 2000 4.3 Vortec Mercruiser inboard with an Alpha 1 outdrive. The engine had issues (smoking, not running right, water in the engine compartment) on the first outing by a potential buyer, owner was not present. When the boat arrived back the oil looked fine and two exhaust boots were found to be faulty (rotted). Those were replaced and water was seen being dumped into the hull with the engine running. Turned out there was a freeze plug missing on the passenger side of the boat. A new freeze plug was source, rtv'd and tapped into place. That no longer leaks as confirmed with a run in the yard. We took the boat to the river tonight and cranked it up. Within 10 seconds it started dumping oil/river water into the carb hat through the pcv lines coming off the valve covers. When we pulled the dipstick it looked like the crankcase was filled with a frothy oil water mix and it was showing way high on the stick. Diagnosis? The marine shop took 5 minutes and said it had a cracked block and cylinder head. I find it hard to believe they fully diagnosed this issue and just assumed that because the freeze plug was missing. Why didn't it mix water/oil while running it in the yard?

When I replaced the outside boot for the exhaust (going from the hull to the outdrive) there were 2 or 3 diverter type plates stuck in there that basically fell out when I pulled the hose off. What do those do and any reason to have to re-install them?

Water took the path of least resistance - no frost plug, no pressure build up. Fix the frost plug, pressure in the cooling system builds, next path of least resistance is the crack in your block. Water into the oil, mixes, builds, relieves itself via your PVC system - which was the next path of least resistance....

hate to say it - but sounds like the mechanic's correct.

Comment

+1 the "freeze plug" came out for a reason. had this happen to me about 10 years ago. the plugs poped, the block and the manifolds cracked. boat was never winterized, long story. hate to say it but it might be time to repower. i ended pulling the engine, salvaging a few things and off to the juckyard it went. think i got 50 bucks for the old block. lesson well learned. good luck

Comment

Right, obviously there is some breech of the two systems. Is the freeze plug popping out and indication of a cracked block? I would love for this to be simply a head gasket issue or even a head replacement would be easier/quicker/cheaper then removing the entire engine. I've priced some replacement longblocks and it seems to be in the area of about a $2500 repair if in fact it needs an entire engine.

Comment

Does everyone mean the " casting plug " ? Those plates i am guessing that fell out were the shutters/ flappers. They fell down maybe blocked the exhaust, then the engine overheated and then maybe a head gasket went.

Maybe ?

Pressure test the cooling system.
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

What Nikko said,

Engine is done sorry to say.

Comment

The blocks like to go down low under the heads, and between the freeze plug bosses where it's thinner.

That one is easy to see with a mirror worst case.

Then they like to crack above the lifter valley under the intake and often your water/oil mix will occur here.

I agree it sounds like the motor is done.

Comment

Not to be sarcastic, but if you own a boat learn what to do for seasonal lay up, and maint.
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Sounds like it had 2 problems:

1) engine overheated at some point and burned up the exhaust hoses (they don't just rot on their own) and melted the flappers which wound up further on down the line

2) Engine not winterized which is why freeze plug popped out and block/heads are likely cracked.

New engine time. Also carefully check the whole exhaust system.
                  88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                  98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                  07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                    Not to be sarcastic, but if you own a boat learn what to do for seasonal lay up, and maint.
                    I'm not the boat's owner but yes I agree the block should have been drained of H20 before setting up. We don't have harsh winters here in the south though.

88fourwinns wrote:
                    Sounds like it had 2 problems:

1) engine overheated at some point and burned up the exhaust hoses (they don't just rot on their own) and melted the flappers which wound up further on down the line

2) Engine not winterized which is why freeze plug popped out and block/heads are likely cracked.

New engine time. Also carefully check the whole exhaust system.
                    I agree. I think this is exactly what happened.

Comment

01ssreda4 wrote:
                      I'm not the boat's owner but yes I agree the block should have been drained of H20 before setting up. We don't have harsh winters here in the south though.

This has caused a lot of expense. You do not need a harsh winter to damage your engine.

You only need one night.

Always prepare for the worst condition ever seen. Sooner or later it will happen again.

This winter in Florida was the warmest I can remember in the 28 years we have spent the winters here.

It was also cold enough to kill 4 of our citrus trees and badly damage some that are more than 15 years old.

Just 2 nights did it. Would have cracked an engine block also if left unprotected.

Doug
                      Started boating 1955
                      Number of boats owned 32
                      Bayliners
                      3870 presently owned
                      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Working...
                      X