No announcement yet.

Old Sea King Aluminum Fishing Boat, What(39)s The Best Seat Wood?-gctid375472

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Sea King Aluminum Fishing Boat, What(39)s The Best Seat Wood?-gctid375472

I have a 57 12' Sea King that has been upside down under the bushes for 15 years. Nice boat but the seats are torn out although the brackets are still there. I am going to make up some new simple wooden benches but wonder what would be better. How's 1 by 12 pine or would 3/4 ply be better if the edges were beveled and heavily stained and polyurethaned? I'm looking for simple light and strong enough to do the deed without major investment as it's just a knockabout fishing boat that will get in shallows where I am not thinking about knocking the outdrive off the big boat. The old seats I think were planed glued hardwood and I don't want the hassle of all that, keep it simple stupid.

I'd use a softwood:kidding

Comment

Exterior ply...

Comment

Mahogany, of course...

Comment

So I guess it really doesn't matter for the most part. I'll just grab some pine as it's a lot easier to hand bevel and edge with the belt sander and keep it smooth and even than with plywood. I'll pass on the mahogany thanks. The last time I saw anyone using any of that they were replacing some of the rotten stuff on the USS Massachusetts down at the Falls Church exhibit. I bet mahogany 2 by 4's laid on their side makes a nice deck but it's a little heavy for my fishing boat.

BTW what's the legals on flotation on boats that didn't have it in the first place? About the only option for this old dude it to put blocks under the seats somehow but that's one of those down the road deals as I always keep my personal emergency gear handy.

Comment

Working...
          X