Old Holes in transom-gctid375126

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Holes in transom-gctid375126

What is the best way to fix these old holes in transom for swim platform. fiberglass 5200 epoxy or? Somebody did not use stainless steel.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/678558=26867-transom holes.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/678558=26868-support.jpg[/img]

You probably have wet wood in there, you could drill some small holes near and see, could turn out to be a project.

Do not use 5200, at the very least if the wood in not wet, drill out the hole slightly larger and use 3m vinyl ester filler, green and white can.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

The first photo shows extensive spider web cracking. To do properly the gel coat needs to be ground down and tapered to good glass. Then new glass layered back in increasing size swatches.

I have no idea what the second photo is.
      Jim McNeely
      New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
      Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
      Brighton, Michigan USA
      MMSI # 367393410

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
        You probably have wet wood in there, you could drill some small holes near and see, could turn out to be a project.

Do not use 5200, at the very least if the wood in not wet, drill out the hole slightly larger and use 3m vinyl ester filler, green and white can.
        Can I get this at your local boat store?

Comment

JimMc wrote:
          The first photo shows extensive spider web cracking. To do properly the gel coat needs to be ground down and tapered to good glass. Then new glass layered back in increasing size swatches.

I have no idea what the second photo is.
          Second photo is what is left of support post to transom

Comment

over40pirate wrote:
            Can I get this at your local boat store?
            If your boat store does not have this then use a good quality short fiber fiberglass filler at your auto store, do not use bondo, it has no fiber strands.

Look for a store or shop that sells fiberglass resin, they should have a like product, when gelcoating do not use anyting that says interior gelcoat, I never have seen this befor but just recently I saw a can at a small supplier of paint and resin.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
            X