Claw Anchor Weight for 1999 2855-gctid374548

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claw Anchor Weight for 1999 2855-gctid374548

Hello all. I'm installing a windlass in my 2855 and am considering replacing the Danforth anchor with a claw/Bruce anchor. I'm getting conflicting information on different sites regarding the anchor weight recommended for my boat.

According to West Marine's site, a 16.5lb claw is recommended for 24 - 30' boats, and the 22lb claw for 31 - 35' boats. Other sites put a 28' boat at the top of the range for a 16.5lb claw.

I'm in the Lake Erie Islands area - primarily sand and relatively shallow. I have 15' of 1/4" chain on the rode.

I went one size up to the 22 lb. Bruce, your windlass won't know the difference. And to be extra sure, I'd increase your chain length to 30 ft., that's what I have. On nice windless days anchoring in a shallow (15-20') cove for lunch and a swim, we don't even set the anchor, just lay it and the chain on the bottom.
    Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    |
    Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
    2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
    2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
    2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
    2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
    And 12 others...
    In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

billyboy wrote:
      Hello all. I'm installing a windlass in my 2855 and am considering replacing the Danforth anchor with a claw/Bruce anchor. I'm getting conflicting information on different sites regarding the anchor weight recommended for my boat.

According to West Marine's site, a 16.5lb claw is recommended for 24 - 30' boats, and the 22lb claw for 31 - 35' boats. Other sites put a 28' boat at the top of the range for a 16.5lb claw.

I'm in the Lake Erie Islands area - primarily sand and relatively shallow. I have 15' of 1/4" chain on the rode.
      I have a 285 and boat the same area.

The 16.5 is fine. Get 300' of 5/8" rode and 10' of chain and you'll be fine in these waters.

The only advantage to the bigger one is to the guy selling it to you.

Comment

Jarhead wrote:

The 16.5 is fine. Get 300' of 5/8" rode and 10' of chain and you'll be fine in these waters.

Famous last words........they are true until you need the anchor to do its job.

I'm a fan of the correct size +1- we carry a 30kg Bruce on our 4087 and 300' of chain. IMO ground tackle is not a place to go cheap...

Comment

Jarhead wrote:

Thanks Jarhead. How does the 300' of rode fit in the anchor locker? My locker is pretty small - perhaps the redesigned 285s have more room. I got a horizontal windlass that sits completely above the deck for that reason. No way would a windlass motor and 200' of rode occupy that locker.

My boat is in storage across from Clemons parts/service building at Flewelling's. Been driving up there every Friday and Saturday to work on the boat for the past several weeks. Getting a/c, windlass and barrier coat done. Cleaning and painting the outdrive. The previous owner didn't watch the anodes and the bearing carrier was half eaten away. I'll watch for your boat on the lift!

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:
            Famous last words........they are true until you need the anchor to do its job.

I'm a fan of the correct size +1- we carry a 30kg Bruce on our 4087 and 300' of chain. IMO ground tackle is not a place to go cheap...
            Note that I qualified my response with "in these waters." This area would never develop conditions where 300' of chain would be sensible. Lake isn't deep enough for it and his boat would probably sink. What you have is "right" for your area, but would be "going cheap" if you were making the run to the Philippine Islands.

Billyboy: hope to splash tomorrow and if the weather gods cooperate, will be up this weekend.

Comment

You should have at least enough rode to allow for a scope of 7 in the deepest water you'll ever anchor in plus some reserve. You did not say if you anchor over night or simple during the day.

I have the same boat as you. I have 50' of 5/16" chain and 200' of 1/2" rode and a 22lb plow. it all fits in the anchor locker. I fill the bow pulpit first, this leaves room for the rode in the locker. Having said that anchor retrieval is a two person job one below carefully distributing the rode as I retrieve from above.

If your going with a windlass then I would go with more chain and less anchor. The length of a 22 lb anchor is such that putting a swivel on the anchor is difficult.

IMHO

Cheers
              John McLellan White Rock BC
              "Halifax Jack"
              1999 2855 383 stroker BII
              MMSI 316004337

Comment

I use 22lbs anchor, works like a charm around islands and anywhere else around lake Erie. My anchor is heavier than recommended, but on a windy and choppy day it holds and believe me there are many more days in the season with 2ft+ seas around that area. I have 25' of heavy chain and rest is about 200' of synthetic line. When anchoring I usually let out 80 to 100' of line as average depth around Bass Islands and Kelleys is about 30'.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/678045=26826-IMG_0760.jpg[/img]

Comment

I would go with the next size and I did. On my 2755 and my 300DA I have 100 feet of chain and 100 feet of rope. The 2755 had a very small anchor locker it would not hold 200 feet of rope the chain takes up less room won't chaff on the bottom and the extra 100 lbs keeps the bow down win win all the way around.

Ken
                  300SD all options sold.

Comment

Claw Anchors and weight???? I'd not do less than the 22.5 lb or so for your 28 footer.

My LOA is approx 31 feet, beam is 10' - 4" and the boat is rather heaving being a twin engine SDN F/B.

I use the SS Kefa 22.5 lb Claw style. I had a smaller version, but changed to this 22.5 lb.

The claw style should work well with your pulpit roller, etc. and lay nice and level once at rest.

On that note, make certain that the shank of the anchor comes up into the pulpit and lays out well including the necessary swivel hardware.... yet offers a tad bit of distance between itself and the leading edge of the Windlass.

You get only one shot at cutting that hole in the deck!

billyboy wrote:
                    I got a horizontal windlass that sits completely above the deck for that reason. No way would a windlass motor and 200' of rode occupy that locker.
                    Bill, I'd suggest that you do not under estimate the Vertical Windlass and horizontal motor. I think that it's misnomer that the Vertical Windlass motor takes up space that would otherwise serve the rode pile.

First.... these motors are up high out of the rode pile area.

Here's a Low Profile Vertical with the horizontal motor.

Note how the motor sits horizontally, not vertically.

If your rode must pile up this high, I can almost guarantee you that you'll have an issue with the fall distance.

We need a fall distance from the gypsty (gravity) in order for these to work well , unless all chain rode.

These also use a much more stout worm gear reduction system, over that of the clock-works style gears.

Secondly.... the gypsy on a Vertical Windlass offers approx 180* of rode contact, -vs- approx 90* of contact with the Horizontal gypsy.

If line will be within the gypsy most often....., you may find that this is important.

If all chain, then it's pretty much a moot point.

Food for thought!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Personally I would go one larger than than what is suggested. As far as rode, nothing beats chain. I have 150'.
                      Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                      1998 3055 Ciera
                      (yes, a 1998)
                      Previous boat: 1993 3055
                      Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                      Sea Doo XP
                      Sea Doo GTI SE
                      Life is short. Boats are cool.
                      The family that plays together stays together.
                      Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Go with no less than the 22 pound anchor.

As a rule of thumb you want at least the length of the boat in chain or more.

------

I have a 33 pound anchor on our 305, 30 feet of 5/16" chain and 300 feet of 5/8" three strand nylon line.

I go with the theory that if they don't laugh it isn't big enough.
                        Jim McNeely
                        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                        Brighton, Michigan USA
                        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

I used the 16.5 for several years with 30' of 1/4" chain and never had an issue. We anchor overnight a lot, in heavy winds, changing tides and mostly in sand/mud. I lost mine in some rocks and went to the 22 just for the heck of it.

So there ya go.

Comment

Working...
                          X