New (to me) Racor fuel filters 2,10 or 30 microns-gctid627953

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New (to me) Racor fuel filters 2,10 or 30 microns-gctid627953

Just picked up some used Racor filters on eBay to replace my primaries for my Hino 210's. My question is what is the proper filter rating for first stage filtration?

Thanks,

Pete
    1989 3888
    Hino 210's

I use 2 micron in mine.
    Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
    Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
    Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
    MMSI: 338030604

Comment

+1

2 micron in my racor 500s around $6 a change if bought in case lot :~))
      1988 3818
      EH 700
      Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

I run 2 micron Racor 500's and then up to 10 micron mains on each engine.
        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I am wondering if a 10 mic filter should be used first inline then a lower mic filter as the final filter in the system. Seems to me that using a 2m ahead of a 10m kinda makes the 10m useless! Shouldn't the big chunks be filtered out first? Fewer filter changes!

Comment

+1 to the last post. The standard setup for the 4788 was a primary Racor 120p at 30 microns and on engine filter at 10 microns. Certainly get the bigger bits out first without clogging a lower micron filter first.

Cheers
            John H
            Brisbane QLD Aust
            "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Thank you all for posting, I think I'm leaning towards the 10 mic primary and 2 mic secondary.
              1989 3888
              Hino 210's

Comment

Hi Folks,

I've been reading the various threads on fuel filtration systems and it seems like the majority have 2 off-engine filters then the on-engine filter with a lot of mention of 30 microns in the first of the three filters, 10 in the second, and 2 in the last. I have yet to find a 2 micron on-engine filter (I have the spin-on type), all I seem to find are the 10 micron filters. Are the 2 micron only available in the drop-in type filters?

Paul
                US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
                MMSI: 338181912

Comment

Originally they came with 30 mics in the racors and then 2 on the engine.

If you have really clean fuel you can try 10 in the racors and 2 on the engine.

To increase fuel filter life you can place a bulk filter prior to the Racors.

Adding vacuum gages makes changing filters objective instead of a guess.

Here is a link that will help a bunch....

http://www.sbmar.com/index.php/artic...e_seaboard_way

Hope this helps
                  Northport NY

Comment

Thanks for the additional info. I've read all the threads on the gauges and am considering that in the future as I look to improve the filtering system.

My boat sat for quite some time (several years) with 3/4 full tanks and I haven't had the opportunity to run it much in the 8 or 9 months I've had it (lots of cleaning and deferred maintenance to catch up on) so I have no doubt the fuel is in rough shape. I got about 10-12 hours on the current filters which were installed just prior to my purchasing. The PO went with 30 in the 500s, 2 in the 200s, and 10 on engine. That could be because he was unable to find a 2 micron on engine spin on filter which is the issue I am having. I may need to find the original filter canisters with the drop in elements. I have found 2 micron elements for those.

As far as the fuel filter system layout, because the 200s have their inlet ports on the front rather than the sides it makes for a pretty messy looking jumble of hoses. I want to get that sorted out and am considering replacing the 200s with 500s and don't know if I want to go with the current 3 filter system or reconfigure so that I have back up filters instead, i.e. if one gets clogged while running I can flip a lever and reroute through the backup versus having to do a filter change on the water between two hot engines.

Paul
                    US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
                    MMSI: 338181912

Comment

Working...
                    X