Bayliner hull window frame...Not available-gctid374475

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner hull window frame...Not available-gctid374475

Hi folks, I have a '98 Bayliner Cirra 2655. I seem to have an issue that has developed into a problem. My port side hull window cracked. I simply called the Bayliner dealer, described what happened and said they would ship me a new one for $150. I thought all was well until I received the package.

First of all, there was just the glass. I also need the thin aluminum frame the glass sits in. It was impossible to preserve the older one i removed from the broken window. I called the dealrer and he said Bayliner doesn't make these frames for the hull windows. Had no suggestions. Said I was screwed. Is that true? Any thoughts on how I can get my hands on one these frames?

Second, the glass I received looked to be the correct dimensions and lines up; however, the glass is straight, and the hull window has a curvature to it. When I mentioned this to the dealer, he said the glass will "probably" bend to the frame. Probably? Would hate to break the glass--assuming I solved the frame issue. This guy didnt seem to be very familiar with what I was doing. Would love to hear the forum's thoughts/suggestions. I'm in a bit of a panic given no hull-side window= very wet cabin.

Thanks!

for a 14 year old boat it wouldn't surprise me its not available anymore. I have been careful with that same part on my window when working on it for this reason.

best I can say is look for a used one or possibly try another dealer or contact bayliner yourself and see if you can get it. It should be in the parts list on their online catalog.

Comment

You can try this one,You never know

http://www.ajr-windows.com/Products.html

Comment

Contact this expert. I have bought glass with frames, they do not leak.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...COxGzWfbvyTKag
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

ramanonos wrote:
          Hi folks, I have a '98 Bayliner Cirra 2655. I seem to have an issue that has developed into a problem. My port side hull window cracked. I simply called the Bayliner dealer, described what happened and said they would ship me a new one for $150. I thought all was well until I received the package.

First of all, there was just the glass. I also need the thin aluminum frame the glass sits in. It was impossible to preserve the older one i removed from the broken window. I called the dealrer and he said Bayliner doesn't make these frames for the hull windows. Had no suggestions. Said I was screwed. Is that true? Any thoughts on how I can get my hands on one these frames?

Second, the glass I received looked to be the correct dimensions and lines up; however, the glass is straight, and the hull window has a curvature to it. When I mentioned this to the dealer, he said the glass will "probably" bend to the frame. Probably? Would hate to break the glass--assuming I solved the frame issue. This guy didnt seem to be very familiar with what I was doing. Would love to hear the forum's thoughts/suggestions. I'm in a bit of a panic given no hull-side window= very wet cabin.

Thanks!
          Not sure what you mean by "hull" window. I broke my starboard side windshield last year and had to order a new window from taylor made(oem) to the tune about about 1200 + shipping. Took 6 weeks. Total insuarance claim was 2500+. Ouch! Check with taylor made, they make the majority of boat glass from what I was told.

Comment

Taylor made products would be my first guess for a 98 boat... If not try a sheet metal shop to fab a new frame for you. They can measure the side you didn't wreck yet....

Comment

ramanonos wrote:
              Hi folks, I have a '98 Bayliner Cirra 2655. I seem to have an issue that has developed into a problem. [COLOR]"#0000CD" wrote:
              My port side hull window cracked.[/COLOR]
              I simply called the Bayliner dealer, described what happened and said they would ship me a new one for $150. I thought all was well until I received the package.

First of all, there was just the glass. I also need the thin aluminum frame the glass sits in. [COLOR]"#0000CD" wrote:
              It was impossible to preserve the older one i removed from the broken window.[/COLOR]
              I called the dealrer and he said Bayliner doesn't make these frames for the hull windows. Had no suggestions. Said I was screwed. Is that true? Any thoughts on how I can get my hands on one these frames?

Second, the glass I received looked to be the correct dimensions and lines up; however, the glass is straight, and the [COLOR]"#0000CD" wrote:
              hull window has a curvature to it.[/COLOR]
              When I mentioned this to the dealer, he said the glass will "probably" bend to the frame. Probably? Would hate to break the glass--assuming I solved the frame issue. This guy didnt seem to be very familiar with what I was doing. Would love to hear the forum's thoughts/suggestions. I'm in a bit of a panic given no hull-side window= very wet cabin.

Thanks!
              We are assuming you are talking about the smoked plastic windows. I believe they are plastic or Lexan at least they were on my 2655. If you can save your old frames that would be key. I believe since are plastic they will bend a little. You can try EBay or http://"www.greatlakesskipper.com" w...kesskipper.com
              Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

You shoud really contact this company, first quality custom made windows and frames, curved or mitered corners to fit, clear glas or tinted, tempered or laminated, fixed or sliding window, with or without screens, would not hurt to look at the site, or call them. I will be ordering a port stateroom sliding window for my 3870, I replaced the side windows on a 28' Uniflyte charter boat with sliding windows with a gray tint 7 years ago, still does not leak, one very happy customer. I just noticed the hull has a slight curvature to it, that may be a problem, glass will not bend to the frame unless made that way, lexan will bend. A temp. fix would be lexan. measure how much the curve is prior to calling anyone. You may need to install a straight frame and then trim the frame.

Wynne Enterprises Inc. www.wynneinc.com

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Ouch, that is a bummer with these newer boats with all the curved glass. I was always careful not to have fishing weights or anything hit the glass on my former 99 maxum. Almost glad my old tub has those 80's windows that are all flat pieces.

If on a budget I'd go plexi and try to source the frame or similar metal.

Comment

Are you talking about the plastic (lexan) windows? I am having mine done as we speak. I removed them and took them to a local plastic shop. All 10 pieces, cut to size, are running about $260. The color was dark bronze. They will be ready either Friday, or Monday. I will post results in Projects section. I am re-finishing the frames myself.
                    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                    1998 3055 Ciera
                    (yes, a 1998)
                    Previous boat: 1993 3055
                    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                    Sea Doo XP
                    Sea Doo GTI SE
                    Life is short. Boats are cool.
                    The family that plays together stays together.
                    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

itsabowtime2 wrote:
                      are you talking about the plastic (lexan) windows? I am having mine done as we speak. I removed them and took them to a local plastic shop. All 10 pieces, cut to size, are running about $260. The color was dark bronze. They will be ready either friday, or monday. I will post results in projects section. I am re-finishing the frames myself.
                      nice! :d
                      Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

Thanks. Great activity on BOC! My 1st time post. I wasn't expecting that. So here's some more information.

I have the Port side tempered glass shipped to me by Bayliner. Measures ~85" long, and 9"tall at longest/widest point respectively. As I mentioned in the first post, I no longer have the trim frame in which to sit the glass into. Unfortunately, I ruined the orginal frame pulling it off. I posted pics of what the frame looks like below. Bayliner swears the glass will bend to the curvature of the boat. They first suggested I use some adhesive tape and just "stick the glass to the boat. But later admitted that even if the adhesive absorbed the tension of the curve, it probably wouldnt hold the weight of the glass window for long.

So... I'm back to needing some approach to fixing the glass to the fiberglass. One thought I had was to buy some brackets from a hardware store and just dot those all the way around the circumference of the opening... I'd be interested in what folks think about that idea, and maybe what kind of "brackets" to try?? Other more logical ideas (or crazy ones) are of of course welcome. I'm in a real jam here. Boat is unusable (cabin gets soaked) without a solution here.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/680886=27188-photo (1).JPG[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/680886=27187-photo.JPG[/img]

Comment

The glass will break if you bend it, buy a piece of lexan/polycarbonite, it will bend, then send the glass back. You could search the salvage yards, especially in ths south east, Florida and gulf coast.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                          Twin 350 GM power
                          Located in Seward, AK
                          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Update. So I successfully mounted the flat piece of tempered glass that Bayliner sent me. I used plastic mirror brackets from a local hardware store to provide the frame substitute to hold the glass in place. Worked great. I then put a bead of silicon around the edges. Done. Its held up great so far. It turns out tempered glass does bend. Go figure...

Comment

Hey Ramonos,

I recently cracked the window on the starboard side of my 95 Ciera 2855. I'm waiting to hear back from Bayliner about the part. I may have the same issue as one of my frames bent while removing.

1. How are the mirror brackets holding up? What size brackets did you use?

2. Could you post a photo of the finished work.

3. Was the glass tinted? or just the charcoal grey?

Thanks,

John

Comment

Working...
                              X