Lowrance GPS - need classic map-gctid374113

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowrance GPS - need classic map-gctid374113

So I'm now an ex-Bayliner owner as I recently bought a bigger boat and it happened not to be a Bayliner. But over the years I've got so much awesome advice on my 2355 I thought I'd try here.

I purchased a 2002 Larson. It came equipped with a Lowrance LCX-16CI sonar/GPS receiver. Sure, it's dated compared with new units and on the Lake of the Ozarks in mid Missouri I probably don't even need it, but I look at it every time I'm at the helm and it looks like it could be helpful in certain circumstances so why not try to get it working well.

I have no experience with a sonar/GPS receiver in a boat. It seems to work perfectly, except there is no map software loaded. So bascially it's a fancy speedometer right now. Luckily, there's a little drawer for the same kind of cards that work in digital cameras, so I figure I can download the software and be off and running. However, when I call for support, I am informed that the maps are no longer available. I am absolutely stunned by this. I can see limiting support or charging for support on out of warranty items, but to not even allow customers to purchase the maps that are essential to make the units even work is completely absurd.

Anybody have any tips on how to obtain? I'll try local dealers but the first one I went to was a knucklehead.

Thanks for the help over the years and any tips would be appreciated.

They're still sold, but expensive. Check http://www.tigergps.com/navionicsclassic.html and email them for exactly what you need.

You're either going to have to shell out half the cost of a new unit for some maps, or find one on the used market. They're nearly useless to everyone now days so if you can find one used it should be CHEAP

Comment

Called that exact shop today and they couldn't sell me one.

Comment

If you don't really "Need" it now and are "Patient", about once a week go on FleaBay and do a search for "Navionics." You'll get about 5 pages of Navionics "Stuff" that has to be sifted through and eventually you'll get it. It took me about 2 months of FleaBay searching but I finally found the Navionics chart for my GlobalMap 6600C.

(on edit), I should have related that the Navionics charts on FleaBay are a whole lot more reasonably priced than the Navionics/Lowrance websites.

Comment

The LCX-16 CI uses MMC/SD cards. I have been able to get older Navionics SD cards from West Marine, during their clearance of old stock sales. Usually, you'll need to ask the manager to check their old stock pile.

The other options are eBay and Craigslist.
          "Adventurer" - 1986 Trophy 2560 383 Stroker/VP280
          "Drag-a-Line" - 1994 Bayliner 1700 Capri Olympic Edition - Force 120

Comment

I have one, you can have it free. Send me your mailing address by PM and I'll ship it out.

Comment

swamp nut is a gentleman and a scholar.

On a separate topic... how can Lowrance get away with not providing access to the software that drives a $3K+ investment within 10 years of making said investment? I know the technology is a bit dated, but please. It's not like it takes a staff of thousands to figure out a way to keep old media around for a few years.

Comment

Licensing. The company making the maps has limited licensing and Lowrance doesn't have a choice. Mapping is a very closed and tightly controlled industry.

I just looked at the card and it says "Hot Maps Premium West" so this may not work for you. I had thought it was the full US. See if you can figure out if "West" includes what you need or not. Sorry for getting your hopes up prematurely if not.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                  Licensing. The company making the maps has limited licensing and Lowrance doesn't have a choice. Mapping is a very closed and tightly controlled industry.

I just looked at the card and it says "Hot Maps Premium West" so this may not work for you. I had thought it was the full US. See if you can figure out if "West" includes what you need or not. Sorry for getting your hopes up prematurely if not.
                  This... and Lowrance doesn't make or sell the map chips - Navionics, a completely separate company does.

That's like saying you bought a VCR and you're pissed the companies stopped making video tapes and switched to DVDs... it's progress

Comment

SwampNut wrote:

I have that card for my Lowrance and it is only the West coast - Ca, Or, and Wa and not too detailed. I also have the more specific N. California one in it now that is more detailed for N Cal coast.

Comment

This definitely covers AZ and a little East, but can't remember how far. That's why I have it. Used it for Powell, Pleasant, Havasu, Roosevelt, etc.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:

Ya you are right I need South. Bummer but thanks for the offer.

Comment

ishiboo wrote:
                          This... and Lowrance doesn't make or sell the map chips - Navionics, a completely separate company does.

That's like saying you bought a VCR and you're pissed the companies stopped making video tapes and switched to DVDs... it's progress
                          VCR's don't cost $3-4K and VCR's can run with whatever tapes you have in the shoebox. Can't run a GPS without a map. Not asking for the HD map for the new versions... just to be able to PAY to DOWNLOAD the old maps that were available just a few years ago when the $3-4K purchase was made.

Comment

Last time I checked, Navionics offered a $100 credit if you wanted to trade your old card for a new one. It might be useful to see if they offer such an exchange. I know your card is old, but I bet they have a way of avoiding having an upset customer. I have had very good experience in the past with their support.

Comment

Sorry. So I would recommend that you do a search on eBay, then save the search with the "notify" option on. You'll get an e-mail any time something matching the search is posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X