trailer question: too high or crooked, I cant win.-gctid374058

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trailer question: too high or crooked, I cant win.-gctid374058

This question may have an easy answer, but I wanted to throw it out there for the others.

I have a venture trailer that is plenty big for my boat, but I'm having an adjustment problem. When the bunks are at their furthest apart the chines on my hull causes the boat to sit crooked (probably 3" or 4" higher on the port or starboard side depending on how it sits). It's not a huge amount, but enough that it bothers me. It isn't going to roll off or anything crazy, but I do worry occasionally that the boat could slide down the bunks and sit extremely crooked.

At the end of last season I though I would fix the problem by sliding the bunks in about 3" each so that both were on the inside of the chine that causes the problem. It worked fine, but made the boat sit extremely high on the trailer. Again, I know that the majority of the weight is low, and i suspect that it would take on massive force of nature to cause any problems but it looked too high (gut feeling) so i opted to return to my slightly crooked lower arrangement.

Is there anyway to over come this? Should I just keep the boat high? I doesn't effect my launching or retrieving.

if your trailer is too far into the water when loading this can occur.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
      if your trailer is too far into the water when loading this can occur.
      Thanks bio hazard. I know what you mean about putting the trailer too far in and the boat getting sloppy as it settles. This is really a trailer problem. I guess what I need to know is what a "normal" height is for a boat to be on the trailer. I'd move the bunks closer together, but it does create a narrow platform.

If anyone out there has a 285, 2855 etc how far apart are your bunks?? That will answer my question as to weather MY bunks should be on the outside of the chines causing the problem, or on the inside.

Thanks for any help. out there!

Comment

I fully understand what you are saying about the bunks being moved towards the center, and then that raising the hull some.

IMO, of the two scenarios...... crooked -vs- being a bit high, I'd take the high, and end up with a nice level boat!

Being crooked would bother me also.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Do you have any pictures? Might be easier to help if we see whats happening.

Comment

The bunks on the trailer should be placed so that they are under where the main stringers in the hull are.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
              Do you have any pictures? Might be easier to help if we see whats happening.
              Ok, so I'm going to dazzle you with MS Paint here. The boat is in the back of a barn at the moment, so no pictures for another week. BUT, I'm sure that my illustrative prowess will suffice.The idea I'm trying to get at is that the bunks at their widest are exactly the same width as the chines (or spray rail) on the hull. So the boat either sits slightly left leaning, or slightly right depending on how it loads.I can move the bunks in (closer together) but that raises the entire boat by at least 6" (because of the deadrise) and at the same time makes my bunk width narrow (i.e. possibly unstable - but not very likely).All of this being said, the boat is pretty bottom heavy with the motor, cabin, gas tank etc all having a low center of gravity - I don't think its going to roll off the trailer or anything crazy like that. I just wanted to know the bunk width of some other 2855 owners.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....JPG[/img]

Comment

If your drawing is accurate, I'd say leave it, and make left hand high speed corners only!

Questions:

Do you have latitude for moving the bunks in either direction? Outward or Inward?

Any height adjustment to them?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                  If your drawing is accurate, I'd say leave it, and make left hand high speed corners only!

Questions:

Do you have latitude for moving the bunks in either direction? Outward or Inward?

Any height adjustment to them?

The Bunks can be moved in only - so they are at their widest right now. The bunks could be lowered probably 2 or 3 inches, nothing would drag at that level and i thought about doing that to combat the increase in height, but it still leaves me with the question as to whether or not they are too narrow if I moved them closer together and lowered them.

Thanks a million for all the help BOC!!

Comment

I am going agree you might be putting the trailer too far in the water. Crank the boat onto the trailer, don't drive it on. The idea is the boat finds it's spot. I had rollers tho - and had exactly the same issue. Then some old timer yelled at me "hey stupid don't back in so far" and I said "yes sir" and it worked.

Comment

You show only one chine on your hull, but I'd have to think that there'd be at least 2 per side. Take a centreline measurement from your keel to the middle of your 2nd chine (this should lower your boat a bit on the trailer). Now with the boat off of the trailer, run a string line down the centre of your trailer. Measure outwards from this line to the centre of your second step (the measurement that you took above), and set your runners there, making sure that they are identical both sides of centre. This will ensure that your trailer bunks are at the same height, and support your hull on a chine. I'd bet you a cold one that your boat will now sit level on the trailer!
                      Bob Hawes.
                      Kelowna, B.C.
                      1998 Trophy 2052 WA
                      4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

If you are power-loading the boat onto the trailer, that's how your boat settles with you at the helm. When approaching trailer make contact with the bunks, hop off and winch boat the rest of the way manually. Not only you will stop digging holes with your prop for the next guy, but the boat will settle nice and even.

Comment

You SHOULD have two bunks along the centerline to cradle the keel, which would make first contact. Then, as you power and winch forward, the outer bunks would catch the hull near the chines. If you only have two bunks, I think you need to add two more. JMO...
                          Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
                          Lake Havasu City, AZ
                          |
                          Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
                          2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
                          2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
                          2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
                          2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
                          And 12 others...
                          In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

Thank you to everyone that has responded. A fellow 2855 user has come to the rescue and given me the width of his bunks - both inside and outside dimensions. I can use this information to check against my current width so see if I can work around the problem area.

Comment

GR, is it possible that your trailer is not quite wide enough for your 2855?

Are you near a boat trailer company that could advise you?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                              X