Trim gauge reading changed-gctid343952

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim gauge reading changed-gctid343952

Not sure why, but all of a sudden the trim gauge on my port motor reads different from what it has for the 3 years I've owned the boat. With the leg fully down, it now reads 6 where it used to read -3. When fully up, it reads 52 whern it used to read 42. Any idea what gives and a solution for getting it back to the readings I used to have?

Thanks

Ian

Here are some things to check:

Did the screws come loose that hold the unit to the out-drive? That would cause it to come out of adjustment. Are the wires that go from the unit into the transom in good shape? I had one with the insulation coming off the wires and it gave erratic readings and had to replace it. What about the electrical connections to your gauge on the dash are they free of corrosion and tight?

Comment

had the same thing on mine a couple of years ago, now i have a dph drive which is different from yours, but the mechanic almost had to pull my motor to get at the sensor on the bottom of the gimble gear. He did manage to squeeze his 12 year old son under there and re/re it. Hopefully yours is easier to get at.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Thanks guys.

I have no idea where the sensor is located on the outdrive. Anyone? I really hope it's easy to get to as my engine bay is what I call "a little crowded" with 2 small block chevs on a 28ft boat.

Yes, I checked the gauge connections and all appear fine.

Comment

This is a bit of a bump post.

I am trying to find where the trim sensor is located on a VP 290 duo prop??

Thanks,

Ian

Comment

Live with it until it stops working completely. If it's the sensor on the outdrive, which it most likely is and was on mine, the boat has to be pulled. Not cheap

Comment

Seaquel wrote:
                Live with it until it stops working completely. If it's the sensor on the outdrive, which it most likely is and was on mine, the boat has to be pulled. Not cheap
                Boat does not have to be pulled as it is on a ramp trailer. So if you have VP 290 duo's, where is it located?? Also how much was the replacement and did you do it yourself?

Thanks.

Comment

Not sure if this will help you?

http://www.marinemechanic.com/volvo/...p%20Manual.pdf

Comment

Ofishal wrote:
                    Not sure if this will help you?

http://www.marinemechanic.com/volvo/...p%20Manual.pdf
                    Thanks for that mate. Pg 162 shows there is in fact a way to adjust what the gauge says. problem is, the image is ordinary. Wish they had a photo. Can anyone tell me where on the leg this is situated. I am not near the boat as it is an hour from my house. Any info I can get on it's location before I make the trip down would be appreciated.

Comment

Surely someone knows the whereabouts of the trim sensor on VP 290? Rick where are you?:sorrow:

Comment

Love it when I answer my own questions. I found the sensor. It's inside the engine bay near the steering ram connection. Seems I had a bad earth. Cleaned it, greased it and all good.

Comment

epoc wrote:
                          Love it when I answer my own questions. I found the sensor. It's inside the engine bay near the steering ram connection. Seems I had a bad earth. Cleaned it, greased it and all good.
                          Good for you!!

Comment

Working...
                          X