Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2859 transom issue-gctid373668

1994 2859

-Is anyone familar with the construction of the lower transom on the 94 2859?

I dropped a screw near the transom drain today and when I was down there noticed that the outer layer of paint or fiberglass was cracking and peeling around the sterndrive bracket, exposing what looked like bare wood beneath.

It seemed like only 1/16" of outside material before the wood was exposed.

I would think there would be at least a few layers of fiberglass over the core in this area before the outside layer was put on, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

The wood was damp but not soft yet.

Either way it seems like i am going to have to bite the bullet soon and pull the engine and drive bracket and start digging in to see how much damage there is.

Good news is all the holes i drilled installing the swim platform brackets were dry and clean wood.

Hi Keith,

I think you're going to have to address the transom. I'm in the middle of that now. Mine didn't look so bad on the surface. My lower transom bolts couldn't be torqued down and that was my trigger. Thankfully my engine and outdrive were already out. I considered an aluminum plate but am thankful I've started the process with the transom. Search transom repair and you'll see my thread and pictures.

I'm not sure how similar are boats are but I can say that none of my swim platform bolts actually make it through the wooden part of my transom.

Good luck!!

Greg

Comment

Hi Keith,

I just want to report back since no one has followed up on your thread. I've just finished removing the wood from my transom. Not nearly as bad a job as I thought it was going to be. If you're on the fence like I was, I would strongly consider taking it on. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. I'd be happy to tell you about my experience and what worked for me and didn't. I also got some great advice from others on the forum. I've never worked with fiberglass and they are making it possible. :-)

Greg

Comment

Working...
      X