Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filling fresh water on 305 / 3055-gctid373022

Hi Folks,

I drained all of the fresh water out of my tanks a few days back, changed the filter, and hooked up a hose to the city water connector back on the swim step and ran the faucets for a good period of time. I hadn't honestly noticed there was a fresh water fill on the starboard side of the boat. I notice that it's not even listed in the Owners Supplment either. Would I only want to use this when I'm at a dock with pressure? If I want to take water to go, always use the fill on the side? I know whatever water I might have gotten into the tank had some serious air bubbles in there with it once I disconnected the hose from the fresh water supply side.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/676435=26661-water.jpg[/img]

Sound like an aftermarket addition to the boat by a previous owner who needed to fill it on the opposite side.

I do have to say that the fill location is a bit annoying to deal with.

BTW, have you seen those brass and rubber quick-disconnects for water hoses? One of those fits EXACTLY into the deck filler on most boats, and will hold the hose in place perfectly.

Comment

fresh water fill is what I use to fill my tank, the citywater hookup is an add on to your boat a PO must have installed. The fresh water fill should be on the manual, on the pics you posted its on the right side next to the vent.

Comment

Sorry for my sentence structure in the first post...I hadn't noticed the factory fresh water fill, just the 'city water' labeled one back on the swim step. Interesting option to have added. I guess someone was spending a lot of time on the boat at some point in time.

Carlos got a link to the part you're talking about? Sounds like it could come in handy when trying to fill the tank solo.

Comment

On almost all boats, the "city water" or 'shore water' is a connection that routes presurrized municipal water to all your systems and faucets but NOT to the potable water tank. It ties in just after the potable water pump. Boats that are configured like this use shore water when at the dock and fill the tank from the deck fitting if they are leaving the dock.

A common modification is to add fittings and an isolator valve that lets you fill the potable tank from the shore water connection.

Comment

I use one of these and filter all water that goes into my potable tank. The springy hose fitting that comes with each new filter fits into the boat's deck fitting very well too. I use one for 1 season and replace it each Spring.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/676480=26662-18478n.jpg[/img]

Comment

We have really good quality water at the marina, so I've never noticed a change with or without the filter.

As far as the fitting, it's something you get at any Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Target, etc. I have them on all hoses, home and marina, so I can swap nozzles and fittings easily. Get the hot-plug type that seals when you disconnect something, so you don't have to turn off the water. When I was the boat I can instantly change from the wand with brush to the spray nozzle. Keep a blank male end around for water tank filling.

http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-Brass-Qu...4941967&sr=1-4

Can't remember if that's the self-closing type or not. Just look at them in the store; the ones you can see straight through obviously don't seal off when disconnected.

Comment

my marina is about 1/4 mile from a nuclear power plant, no biggie it doesnt leak often No drinkin that for me

Comment

my marina is about 1/4 mile from a nuclear power plant
                  You're gonna need a bigger filter.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                    You're gonna need a bigger filter.
                    haha, just a couple reactor core towers on my morning horizon

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                      On almost all boats, the "city water" or 'shore water' is a connection that routes presurrized municipal water to all your systems and faucets but NOT to the potable water tank. It ties in just after the potable water pump. Boats that are configured like this use shore water when at the dock and fill the tank from the deck fitting if they are leaving the dock.

A common modification is to add fittings and an isolator valve that lets you fill the potable tank from the shore water connection.
                      This is the right answer.

If it filled the fresh water tank on your boat, it wouldn't know when to quit. A plastic tank would blow up like a balloon.

There is a check valve in the fitting to prevent the water pump on your boat from pumping the water out the fill.

The water pump itself is the check valve to prevent the tank from filling.

To fill the water tank from this fitting, you need to bypass the on board pump back to the tank.

If you want to install this feature on your boat just tee in the cold water line on the downside of the pump.

This is a common thing with rv's.

Now a caution or two.

First the check valve at the fitting. It makes an airlock in the line when you winterize and may not drain if you blow the lines or even if you pump antifreeze in the system. Any RV supply store will have a fitting with an air valve (Like a tire) you can use to blow your system.

But the line from the tee to the pump and from the pump to the tank will not be blown clear doing this.

Now the second warning and this could be a biggy.

My motorhome says to remove the manual fill (like your deck fitting) when filling from a pressure hose using the fitting we are talking about here.

Even with a vent you can forget it and cause severe damage. The vent alone can't keep up with the water flow.

While at my motorhome factory for some repairs, I talked to one of their techs. He said a customer didn't remove the fill cap, hooked up the water, set the valve to fill and forgot it.

The tank didn't burst but it expanded and shoved a wall up through the room.

I never forgot that and I have never forgot that fill cap when I fill the tank from the hose hookup.

Doug
                      Started boating 1955
                      Number of boats owned 32
                      Bayliners
                      3870 presently owned
                      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                        We have really good quality water at the marina, so I've never noticed a change with or without the filter.
                        We count on it more when we're traveling.

Comment

Agree with all of the above, good info. One thing missing though:

A LOT of boats sink at the dock because of the city water hookup. If the check valves or any number of hoses fail, you're basically using your municipal water supply system to try to sink your boat. It WILL succeed.

Bayliner was smart (IMHO) to leave this option off. You can always add one if you're smart enough to leave it disconnected when not aboard.

Comment

CaptTom wrote:
                            Agree with all of the above, good info. One thing missing though:

A LOT of boats sink at the dock because of the city water hookup. If the check valves or any number of hoses fail, you're basically using your municipal water supply system to try to sink your boat. It WILL succeed.

Bayliner was smart (IMHO) to leave this option off. You can always add one if you're smart enough to leave it disconnected when not aboard.
                            With all the mods I have made this is why I never added a pressuized water connection.

I instead added a second tank fill inlet on the Port side. That is the side our finger dock is on and the side you normally access a 305 from.

Why Bayliner put the water fill on the Starboard side is a mystery. My guess is because it was easier.
                            Jim McNeely
                            New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                            Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                            Brighton, Michigan USA
                            MMSI # 367393410

Comment

JimMc wrote:
                              With all the mods I have made this is why I never added a pressuized water connection.

I instead added a second tank fill inlet on the Port side. That is the side our finger dock is on and the side you normally access a 305 from.

Why Bayliner put the water fill on the Starboard side is a mystery. My guess is because it was easier.
                              What I need is a system for filling up while out on the lake, Has anybody done this ?

Comment

Working...
                              X