Battery Switch-gctid372908

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Switch-gctid372908

Any body with a 2452 have there battery switch other than in the hatch behind the port side stern seat. I'm looking for installations that make it simple to get too.

I have yet to install my switch and new wiring with my battery charger in my boat. I'm going up there in a week before we splash after our boat yard guy gets our new swim platform installed. I HAD planned to put it above the battery in that compartment but now that you say it, it would be nice to have the switch somewhere convenient.

In my catalina sailboat it was over by the sink in the galley, port side. The batteries where held in a compartment under the settee to starboard. It seemed to work just fine running 10 ft or more of cables.

If I figure something out, I'll let you know!

Comment

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that it was Carlos who relocated his MBSS outside of the engine bay on a similar boat.

Anytime we can relocate an MBSS outside of the engine bay.... is a good thing.

Easier to manage battery banks, and in the event of a 12 vdc issue, you'll have fast access to it for an emergency shut down.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that it was Carlos who relocated his MBSS outside of the engine bay on a similar boat.
        Wasn't me. I find it of dubious value to be able to turn off switches in an emergency and I never touch my switches at all during normal use.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
          Wasn't me. I find it of dubious value to be able to turn off switches in an emergency and I never touch my switches at all during normal use.
          And I hope that you never do have a need to shut down your 12 vdc system in an emergency.

However, and perhaps rare..... if/when we did have a major 12 vdc issue.... I mean a large load that may heat up and burn battery cables ....., we certainly DO NOT want to be opening an engine hatch in order to access an MBSS. rod :thumb

Unless of course you enjoy the adrenalin rush of an event like that! :kidding

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Having dealt with a lot of overheated/shorted high-capacity DC cables in industrial/telecom situations, I'm fairly certain that by the time you know, it's too late to fix the problem by cutting power.

Comment

So give up and jump ship?????

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

wow carlos wtf happened there? Microwave antenna decide to get pointed at its power wires?

Comment

So give up and jump ship?????
                  By the time you notice, it's because something is on fire. I don't think you'd know about it if it's just the wires being hot. Even with a few batteries, my 4/0 cables probably won't completely catch fire themselves.

wow carlos wtf happened there?
                  Dude dropped a wrench across the buss on a remote mountain site.

Comment

Working...
                  X