CO detector going off-gctid340396

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CO detector going off-gctid340396

We were out a couple weeks ago and our guests were complaining of a headache. We opened up the windows and the next day I got a Carbon Monoxide detector. The reading weren't high but there was a reading. Is it normal to have carbon monoxide in the cabin? Or can there be something wrong?

If people got a headache something was wrong.

Under the right conditions you can get a station wagon effect where exhaust gets pulled back in the boat. That wouldn't happen under all conditions.

You were wise but over due for that decector.

You could have an exhaust leak.

A few years ago my friends were on our boat. We boat together part of each summer. Carbon monoxide detectors came up in the conversation. They had an older boat and no detector. I had a spare and told them I would give it to them if they would use it.

It went off every time they were underway. That fall their mechanic found one of their manifolds cracked. Ah, the source of the carbon monoxide. She often went below to read while underway. Lucky, eh?

Many years ago in the Detroit area, a father found his children dead in the cabin of their boat. They were below while underway. There was an exhaust leak and it killed them.

You have some looking to do would be my guess.

Doug
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Buddy Bouy,

If there are no obvious leaks from the engine, I suspect the issue you have is the back drafting effect that plagues boats of our configuration. I have the 2850 and the CO detector will go off the minute I open the door or window. It's just from exhaust drafting back in but can be a real problem. I find the solution is to start the boat with the door and windows closed and keep it closed while underway. If you open it even for a second you'll get a good burst of CO in (I have a portable detector I used to figure this out). It helps to also seal all openings to cabin in engine area (around fuel tank, hose/wire openings etc...). Also, check your rear door seal (if there is one) and make sure everything is as tight as possible. It's also difficult to get rid of trapped CO in the cabin. This is something you have to watch for and a CO detector is necessary. BTW, one thing I've done to my boat since is install a 12V 4" computer style fan that continuously vents cabin air to the outside. This helps with trapped CO but also for keeping the interior of the boat fresh and well ventilated.

Gary.

Gary.

Comment

Ok thanks guys. I keep the blower on so I dont think its a exhaust leak because you would normally hear it.But I will look into it. Thanks Gary I will seal all the openings into the cabin. You are right when the doors are closed there is less gas.

Steve

Comment

Could also be a faulty detector that is dieing... They need to be replaced every 5 years or so...

Try running with a cabin window open to stop the station wagon effect...
          Doug ;}
          MMSI: 338068776
          "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Just the other day i had to replace the one in my house. It lasted about 5 years also. On a boat that has sleeping compartments i would have one in each room and one in the engine bay. My uncle had a 60' he had to run the blower all the time. I actually installed a second one for him in case one went out and he was on the water, he could just switch on the second one.
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

DANGER DANGER........check all your appliances for leaks, furnace , hot water etc.

Comment

When I am underway and have people in the cabin I try make it a rule to have the front hatch and door open. That gives a good flow of fresh air through the cabin. I have two CO detectors as well.

Comment

Nobody has answered this question, so I will:

Is it normal to have carbon monoxide in the cabin?
                  NO! There should never be CO in the cabin.

Comment

Ofishal wrote:
                    DANGER DANGER........check all your appliances for leaks, furnace , hot water etc.
                    Lets keep this factual. The water heater in a boat won't cause this problem. Unless you have propane, your appliances won't either.

Nor the furnace unless its a diesel and then diesel is minimal.
                    Started boating 1955
                    Number of boats owned 32
                    Bayliners
                    3870 presently owned

Comment

Propane furnace/heater/stove?

Comment

Thanks guys. The detector is new and so are the batteries. I will be down there in the next week to find out what the issue is thanks for the info. I will keep you posted.

Steve

Comment

Ofishal wrote:
                          Propane furnace/heater/stove?
                          I think you are confusing an RV and a boat.
                          Started boating 1955
                          Number of boats owned 32
                          Bayliners
                          3870 presently owned

Comment

Nope

http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/propane.php

He doesnt say what he has running for gas/lpg stuff, motor obviously but thats not what usually kills........gennys, heaters, stoves etc = killers

Comment

Where would you put it in a 28 foot boat?

What about the water heater?
                              Started boating 1955
                              Number of boats owned 32
                              Bayliners
                              3870 presently owned

Comment

Working...
                              X