Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flushing with drain plugs in or out?-gctid372494

Hi all,

Thanks to much reading on the forums I'm now able to find my drain plugs on my Mercruiser 4.3LX block and risers, enabling me to sleep better at night when there is mild risk of freezing/frosting temps (-2 to +3C). I recommissioned unusually early this year due to freakishly warm weather last month, followed by currently freakishly cold weather this and last week.

I am now wondering if it might be a good idea to run with flush muffs on and drain plugs out every once in a while in order to achieve a good thorough seawater cooling system flushout/clean. Or would this cause more damage than good?

Thanks,

Dave

The first thing that comes to mind is, where is the water going to go that would come out the drain plugs? Unless you control each one I would be worried about getting things wet that you don't want wet. More trouble than it's worth in my humble opinion.

Sounds like a nice boat though, put up a picture!

Comment

Mariner wrote:
      The first thing that comes to mind is, where is the water going to go that would come out the drain plugs? Unless you control each one I would be worried about getting things wet that you don't want wet. More trouble than it's worth in my humble opinion.

Sounds like a nice boat though, put up a picture!
      Thanks Mariner. Yes I was presuming the water would simply drain out of the bilge drain hole as normal but hadn't factored in the increased flow rates from a running engine so perhaps best to keep the drains closed.

Added "photos" link to my siggy

Comment

Working...
      X