Question for you well seasoned old marine gear heads!-gctid372388

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for you well seasoned old marine gear heads!-gctid372388

I'm trying to help a man determine what this oil presure hose is for.

This comes from the engine's oil galley port on a Chrysler Marine 360, and has been "T" 'd in with his oil pressure gauge sending unit.

Nothing has been connected to it that the owner is aware of.... and he is not using it.

Disregard the metal bracket, the oil sender unit, the spring wrapped hose and the T fitting.

The part in question that should identify what this hose is used for, will be the fitting at the extreme far right side of the photo.

It has a small flange or ring on it, it is not threaded, and it has a check vavle in it.

I have a strong hunch as to what I believe it was for.... but what say yee?

Sorry, but this is the only image that I have of it.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/675799=26610-AKJohn quick disconnect oil hose fitting 1.jpg[/img]
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

I don't qualify as well seasoned, but here goes... Isthe fitting a quick-connect, like an Airco fitting? If yes, I'm guessing he had another gauge he was popping on and off while troubleshooting.

If instead of the quick-connect there was a valve, my guess would be for collecting an oil sample.

Comment

It looks to me like the Low Oil Buzzer was disconnected. Does the buzzer sound when you turn on the ignition key to start the engine? If not, then it was disconnected. Not a good idea.
      Greg A.
      1994 4788
      "Simplicity"
      2002 Capri 175
      "Little GFI"
      Boat on the Sac/San Joaquin Delta

Comment

Mike, I hadn't considered the oil sample.

Keep em com'n!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Sure looks like an owner installed 'jury rig'. I'd guess a secondary pressure gage and/or alarm setup.

Comment

Im going with the oil sample ooorrrrr a disconnected hose to a auxiliary extra oil tank
            1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
            twin 454's
            MV Mar-Y-Sol
            1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
            Twin chevy 350's inboard
            Ben- Jamin
            spokane Washington

Comment

Again, I only have a hunch as to what I believe it was used for. I've seen them on older engines, but I'll be danged if I can find anything on the Internet.

The end fitting appears to be shaped like a quick connect or quick disconnect arrangement fitting. Almost as those another female fitting connects to it for oil transfer. The fitting threads are 1/8" TP, so the ID is rather small. Too small for any high volume, IMO.

Remember, this comes right off of the engine oil pressure side. When the engine is running, this hose would be under 45/60-ish psi oil pressure.

When not running, it's still a direct path to the engine oiling system. (hint hint)

I'm not convinced that I'm correct, and I'll post my thought after this runs for a while.

I just thought it would be fun to see what you guys thought it may be.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Some diesels use a feed and bleed system that pulls off a small oil flow and adds it to fuel. At the same rate, new oil gets added, and you never change oil. It's rare and I've never seen it on a gasser.

It can't be for changing oil - doesn't pull from the pan.

Comment

Pre oiler hook up ?

Comment

not old or seasoned but my guess would be...

-priming device hooks up to it after long lay up or no use

-oil heating system

-oil galley flush/clean system

Comment

I'll go with the priming/preoiling for the top of the engine.

James

Comment

OK..... I didn't want to post earlier what I thought is was .... I wanted to hear what you guys thought..... and I think Scott nailed it with the idea of the pre-oiler system. James also.

The check valve, and what I'm thinking is a "quick couper" or "quick disconnect", and the fact that it's plumbed into the engine oil galley......, is why I've been thinking "pre-oiler" or "oil system primer" since I first posted to this man's thread.

However, the guy swears it's for oil changing (although he's never used it).

If that is for oil changing, it would involve running the engine, and running it out of oil!

Then what oil had been suspended, would now drain back into the oil pan! So it would not effectively remove all oil.

Or, if intended for suction, he'd being trying to suck oil up though the oil pump through an 1/8" TP thread, and you know how small the ID is on 1/8" TP.

That's pretty dang small, and I don't see that happening in any short time frame.

Plus, you'd be pulling a negative pressure on all of the crankshaft, rod and camshaft bearings while trying to do it.

I think that crankshaft and camshaft bearings would eventually breach the suction. One tiny breach, and you'd loose your suction!

I don't think that it would even work from the get-go.

I've seen these connected to engines...., but have never connected one up or used one.

I also seem to recall seeing someone post a similar unit on the BOC.... but I can't remember who or how long ago it was.

If it is a pre-oiler, it would have been used to prime an oil system on an engine that had been layed up for a while.

Just quick connect a hand held oil pressure pump device, give her a few pumps, and you've pre-pressurized the oil galleys.

You would not need to pull the distributor to use an oil pump priming shaft.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

The system is apparently old enough that it's not discussed these days.

No matter how I've Key Worded my Internet search, I come up with ZERO each time.

I did find that MichiganMotors, and a few others, sell a pre-oiler system, but w/out any quick coupler or quick disconnect fittings.

So the idea is nothing new.

Here's one being used for a Chrysler Hemi rebuild.

Thanks for the ideas.

If any other thoughts, please post them.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Nah, your guy was right. It's for changing oil. You run the engine at about 2k rpm and watch the pressure guage until the oil pressure just starts to falter, then shut it down. It gets about 90% of the oil, then do the filter and pour the new oil in. Easy and quick, no mess. There is no engine damage (IE:It's less damaging than starting your engine in the morning, which you do all the time). I have a similar system on my Glastron (350 MERC).

Chay

Comment

Chay, I just called a friend of mine who is a Volvo Penta and Merc repair shop owner. I asked him about this hose affair, and I'll be dog goned if you aren't correct.

Marc said that these were used for both oil changing and pre-oiling or pre-pressurizing the oil systems.

I can understand the pre-oiling or pre-pressurzing the oil galleys.

Apparently the idea behind oil chaning, was to warm the engine, then connect the hose to a container, and open a valve and run the engine.

He's seen both the quick couper and the style with some sort of valve at the end, but said that he hasn't seen one for years.

He went on to say that he's never used them, and thought that it was not a good idea for oil changing.

Chay, would you please post a photo of the hose end for me?

Is it a quick coupler by chance? Just curious.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

It's not a quick coupler (like a swagelock), it's a rotary thing, made of brass. If you unscrew the tip it allows the oil to flow (3-4 turns, fine threaded thing), then turn it to close again. It drains the oil in about 2-3 minutes of running. It also has a cap to keep out foreign materials.

I will post a photo if I get a chance, but the boat is parked remote from me at the moment.

Chay

Comment

Working...
                              X