My DINKY went SOFT! WEST MARINE RAVE!!!!-gctid372147

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My DINKY went SOFT! WEST MARINE RAVE!!!!-gctid372147

my new West Marine HP34 PVC high pressure floor was ready for action. I just painted the bottom and had it inflated for the past two weeks. I came home from work today and one pontoon was FLAT! After I got over the shock, I got out my pump and started the inflation. It leaked out quickly, so I suspected a cat or racoon. However, it was a seam that let go under the high pressure floor. My local WM was closed, so I called customer service in Watsonville. SUPER PEOPLE is an understatement. the agent asked if I wanted to call the local store or have him handle it. I aske dhim to handle it. We spoke and I told him I was disappointed that the new boat went flat, I paid for a quart of anti fouling paint and registration fees, and now I have a boat that will have a repair and it has not even been in the water yet! I said I did not want to spend anymore money and had already sold my previous dinghy. He replied for me not to worry, whereas it was never in the water, they would arrange for me to receive a NEW boat of equal or better. This was a closeout that I bought for under $500.00. West Marine number, which I gave him. Right away he was even better! he said it looks like I spent a lot of $$ at WM and I needed to be made fully satisified. He said that WM would cover the re registration and bottom paint costs. SHOCKED? NOPE! I have always had superior service from WM!

So, tomorrow I will get a call from them as to what is going to happen and when. WM still rules in my book!
    Tony, Cape Cod, MA
    Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
    1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    454 Merc Cruisers inboards
    "HOLODECK"
    2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
    www.bourneyachtclub.com

Can't beat that. Good deal.

Comment

Wow sounds like great customer service !!

Comment

One thing I have always found about West Marine. Sometimes the local store don't treat you right. A call to the main office and they always have a new outlook at the local level.

Sometimes the turnaround at the local level is astounding.

Expensive, yes but the customer service is outstanding. You just might have to go up a step to get it.

Doug
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned
        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Chances are you will get the current model of what that boat would be. If it.is a close out they have not ordered any more and unless there is one in another store. This time of year they probably don't have one.

For the westmarine nay sayers......this I one very good reason to shop there their policy is a no questions asked return. If a store gives you crap talk to the watsonville office they will pretty much 100% of the time make it right.

Edit: I just did a search on the westmarine computer. It shows that there are none of those boats in any of the stores.or warehouses. So most likely you will be getting a current model. Problem is there isn't any thing comparable in the current catalog so to make it right for a boat of the same size you'll be getting some thing better. Considering the price you paid they may want to send you a hp310 which is slightly smaller. I guess you will find out. Maybe they already snagged the last one for you and took it out of the system
          1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

And I'll bet dollars to donuts you were not yelling when you called. You probably and logically spoke about what had happened and the WM guy just listened and probably only interrupted when he wanted some clarification on your part...

Yep, another satisfied customer... Glad they will work with you. That is more than can be expected. I am sure we have a few WM folks on here (no they never post).

But I would recommend you print out your post and ask if your local WM would like to post it on their window someplace... You can't get better publicity then that...

If you do... just be sure to redact any personal info on the post...
            Doug ;}
            MMSI: 338068776
            "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
              And I'll bet dollars to donuts you were not yelling when you called. ..
              you have Doughnuts??

I have a love hate with West ,, they have a higher prices ,, they don't have extreme knowledge of Boats and the membership Fee thing?? WTF .. ,, but for Me they have a brick and mortar store ,, for those boating trip saving last minute purchases

stories like this put them up a notch over My local Sea Ray dealer

Comment

I hate it when my dinky goes soft....

Comment

Go Aweigh2452 wrote:
                  And I'll bet dollars to donuts you were not yelling when you called. You probably and logically spoke about what had happened and the WM guy just listened and probably only interrupted when he wanted some clarification on your part...

Yep, another satisfied customer... Glad they will work with you. That is more than can be expected. I am sure we have a few WM folks on here (no they never post).

But I would recommend you print out your post and ask if your local WM would like to post it on their window someplace... You can't get better publicity then that...

If you do... just be sure to redact any personal info on the post...
                  Doug,

You are so right. NEVER raised my voice or was irritated. The rep asked me to place my issue in email and he forwarded it to the area manager, who called me back. I told him I know I bought this boat on clearence, but was very disappointed. He said that even though I bought it on clearence, I should expect a great experience. he said to pick put 3 comparable boats and send them to him, he would speak to the distribution center about getting one to me ASAP. I picked out an aluminum floor Hypalon, the 31 SB, and anothe rhigh pressure floor boat. Although they do not have the 1600# capacity as this one, they are very suitable to mine and all sell about the same price, except the Hypalon one. That is a $1999.00 boat, on clearence for $1249.00. The rep said it woudl be resolved to my satisfaction by Friday afternoon. He also said he would give me a gift card for the expense of the bottom paint, registration transfer fee and also the number plate that I ordered. How could you ask fo ranything more.......except for none of this to happen. However, they are standing behind what they sell, which is what I am so happy about.
                  Tony, Cape Cod, MA
                  Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
                  1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
                  454 Merc Cruisers inboards
                  "HOLODECK"
                  2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
                  www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Working...
                  X