Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing hardtop / window leak 88 trophy 2160-gctid371932

Mates,

I have a persistent leak at the front corners of my hardtop, appears to be from the side window area and possibly front window corners. Water end up dripping through the fur in the cuddy.

Can't tell if the side windows drain somehow, can be sealed, or what. I've thrown some silicon at the outside edges in the past and that helped but not a real fix.

Anyone encounter this before and have some input? Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem on my 87 2159 or 2160 ( not Shure how to tell the difrents ) but the front leaks. The black rubber seal looks like runny tar from age. Going to pull front windows and reseal when I can figure out how to do it. Sory not much help for you.

Comment

Mclark wrote:
      I have the same problem on my 87 2159 or 2160 ( not Shure how to tell the difrents ) but the front leaks. The black rubber seal looks like runny tar from age. Going to pull front windows and reseal when I can figure out how to do it. Sory not much help for you.
      HA! Just pull yours apart first and tell me how hard it is, eh? Pics too! It looks like it would be necessary to pull the whole top to get under the window/windshild junction but I hoped someone out there had some better (less intensive) ideas.

Comment

You posted first so I will be waiting to hear from you. LOL.

Comment

So far I tightened all nuts in the cuddy attaching hardtop to front of upper hull and have begun pulling my original amateur silicone seal job off to "improve" the seal with a less childish application.

Also looking at sealing the front bottom corners of the sliding front side windows somehow but want to be sure there isn't a drain there before I do it.

No rain yet to make any comparisons yet. I still think ya gotta pull d top to get 'er done right, no way I'm going there right now.

Comment

The prior owner of my explorer pulled the top and side windows and resealed everything.

The window tracks do have drains, make sure they aren't plugged up and free of green stuff. I do a scrub, wash, and silicone spray twice a year to keep things clean and the side windows sliding easily.

Comment

Working...
            X