4788 master cabin courtesy light mystery-gctid371883

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 master cabin courtesy light mystery-gctid371883

I have one of the courtesy lights burned out under the drawers in the master cabin berth on my 2001 4788. I can get one eyeball far enough under the base to see the fixtures but cannot fathom how to replace the bulb or even what type it is. There does not appear to be any access other than blindly sticking my hand in there to feel around and so far that has not produced any clues. Am I missing something or is this really as inaccessible as it seems?

I don't have a 47 but many times I have used my camera to get pictures of such an area?

Good Luck
    Richard
    1988 3870 Bayliner

Comment

It's a rope light like the soffit lighting. I would check the connection at the beginning of the rope light. The connection corrodes or overheats or just gets loose. Of course you might want to check your switchs and make sure they are working. If I remeber that a three way. http://www.drsa.com/html/vimar.htm

Comment

The lights under the master on my '95 4788 use the same bulbs as the automatic lights in the closets. I was able to fit my arm under there and remove the bulbs and replace them with LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs.com. The fittings are oriented such that the bulbs plug in and out horizontally.

I like LEDs in these fittings so I can leave these lights on all night for a nightlight.

Comment

LTCret wrote:
          I don't have a 47 but many times I have used my camera to get pictures of such an area?

Good Luck
          Great idea, thanks for the suggestion, don't know why I didn't think of that, now I'm thinking of all kinds of places on the boat where it would be useful to stick a camera in and snap a shot!

Comment

Thanks all, discovered an intermittent short in one switch and one bad bulb. Also have a new photo album of hard-to-reach places started.

:beer-

Comment

itsralph wrote:
              Thanks all, discovered an intermittent short in one switch and one bad bulb. Also have a new photo album of hard-to-reach places started.

:beer-
              Mine was a 98 4788 with rope lighting. Looks like they have decided the bulbs were more reliable.

Comment

Scary wrote:
                Mine was a 98 4788 with rope lighting. Looks like they have decided the bulbs were more reliable.
                I probably could have replaced rope lighting a lot quicker! Even after I figured it out, getting the bulb out was not easy, I just couldn't get a decent hold on it, not to mention the rug burn on my face trying to find the spot to pry the lens off. I'm guessing no one actually tested how difficult it would be to replace them when they changed to bulb fixtures.

Comment

Working...
                X