Can I operate 2 RBS battery solenoid switches via a single Contura 2145 switch ?-gctid602702

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MonteVista
    Supporting Member
    • Oct 2012

Can I operate 2 RBS battery solenoid switches via a single Contura 2145 switch ?-gctid602702

As far as I could search, Blue Sea Systems does not make a Remote Battery Switch (solenoid) that is single pole, double throw (i.e. connect a common terminal to either of two possible terminals). So, I implemented one using 2 Blue Sea Systems RBS switches. These switches are "ordinary" solenoid operated magnetic switches; Momentary push on a remote button causes the solenoid contacts to close and momentary push to open them causes the solenoid to release. I wanted to connect either battery #1 or battery #2 to port no. 1 of my MBSS, remotely. That way if I set the MBSS to No. 2 position, my no. 2 battery is enabled. If I set the MBSS to No.1 position I can remotely select which battery gets enabled. Each of the Blue Sea system RBS switches comes with its own Contura 2145 switch to enable or disable the desired battery. The RBS control schematic shows I should apply +12v to ORG or +12v to BRN wire to open or close the solenoid switch, respectively. Since I wanted either battery No.1 or battery No. 2, but NOT BOTH or NOT NEITHER (i.e. always have one or the other battery to be enabled), I thought I could get what I wanted by wiring the ORG wire of RBS#1 together with the BRN wire of RBS#2 and also wire the BRN wire of RBS#1 together with the GRN wire of RBS#2 so that if one RBS was given the command to open the other would be given the command to close, and vice versa. This configuration did not work (when I operated the Contura switch, a momentary "hum" was heard but solenoids did not change state) and I was forced to use two separate Contura switches to control the RBS#1 and RBS#2 separately. This works but, if possible, I want to avoid having an operation mode which, even momentarily, may make both RBS's OFF (if I disable one battery before enabling the other), which may mean some of my electronics lose power.

Does any one know why a single switch does not control two RBS solenoids in opposite directions?

Thanks,
    Retired, computer expert / executive
    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
  • 2850Bounty
    Supporting Member
    • Oct 2003

Bulent.... you just don't have enough to do..... do you? :lol: :lol:

Do you want these in Chrome, SS, Brass or Copper?

Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model 31' LOA
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling systems
    Volvo Penta Duo Prop Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on the forum.
    If you leave a "post", rather than a "comment", our members will see recent thread activity!

Comment

• MonteVista
      Supporting Member
      • Oct 2012

Hey,

Did I mention that I have retired, and enjoying every minute of it?

You are right, these are non-critical issues. I am a very "curious to learn" person. I am not going to make any changes and don't mind learning. Also, how else can I pass time until it is boating season for me again?

Stay well
      Retired, computer expert / executive
      Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
      Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
      D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
      [email protected]
      [email protected]

Comment

Working...