Fume Detector Problem-gctid371678

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fume Detector Problem-gctid371678

I have had my 1997 Bayliner Ciera 2355 for the past four years, and have never had a problem with the fume detector. After launching her this past Sunday, the detector ran constantly and the bilge blower ran even with the switch off until I turned the batteries off, even with the engine compartment open. Is it possible that the sensor became faulty, perhaps I miss wired the batteries when I installed them? Any help is appreciated as I am at a complete loss. Thanks, Charl

Put a piece of tape over the sensor and see what happens.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Will do, get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks, Charl

Comment

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/675377=26566-ms2_0.jpg[/img]This is the replacement sensor for my xintrex Fireboy unit. They are about $79. The sensors unually last less than 10 years.

Comment

Had a chance to tape over the sensor today, alarm still sounded. I then disconnected the sensor, the alarm still sounded and the blower kept running even though I had the blower turned off at the dash. New sensor time? And is this common for the blower to keep running like this? Thanks again, Charl

Comment

You can buy a new fume sensor complete for $150.00 on ebay, free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xintex-M-1-R...item1e6957fe4c

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Thanks for the link, and I will use it, but still would like to know why the bilge blower keeps blowing even after it is turned off at the dash and the fume detector is disconnected. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. The blower use to come on once I turned on the batteries, but would turn off after 30 seconds or so. Now it simply does not turn off. Thanks, Charl

Comment

cswoodwinds wrote:
                Thanks for the link, and I will use it, but still would like to know why the bilge blower keeps blowing even after it is turned off at the dash and the fume detector is disconnected. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. The blower use to come on once I turned on the batteries, but would turn off after 30 seconds or so. Now it simply does not turn off. Thanks, Charl
                It appears that in the case of failure of the sensor the default is the blowers on your unit.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

The blowers come on when you turn on the batteries because thats the test the fume detector does upon power up. In the event the detector detects fumes. ( or thinks it does in your case), the blowers are activated till the alarm clears. Just buy a new sensor, it simply plugs in. Simple to change.

Comment

Been there done that, sensor is bad. Just replace and the blowers and everything will act normally.

Sensor is a MS2. http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Xinte...ne+Sensor.html
                    Cheers, Hans
                    2007 Carver 41 CMY
                    Twin Volvo D6-370
                    Montreal, Canada
                    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Should take all of 2 minutes. This is a rather easy and inexpensive fix.

Get back to us after installing the sensor with a update please.
                      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Thanks so much for the help. Ordering a new sensor today and will post once it it installed.

Charl

Comment

Just an update on the sensor, I installed a new sensor, and the alarm still sounded. I started to trace the cable from the alarm to the dash and found where the previous owner must have spliced the cable to install a new sensor. After removing the electrical tape, I found that the red wire was no longer making contact with the red lead from the sensor. I cleaned and reattached the two wires and the sensor and blower are working normally again. Thanks you to all that helped. It is truly appreciated!!

Charl

Comment

cswoodwinds wrote:
                            Just an update on the sensor, I installed a new sensor, and the alarm still sounded. I started to trace the cable from the alarm to the dash and found where the previous owner must have spliced the cable to install a new sensor. After removing the electrical tape, I found that the red wire was no longer making contact with the red lead from the sensor. I cleaned and reattached the two wires and the sensor and blower are working normally again. Thanks you to all that helped. It is truly appreciated!!

Charl
                            Glad to here you figured it out. Regardless of the wiring fault, the sensor typically only has a life span of about 5-6 years so you were probably due anyhow.
                            Cheers, Hans
                            2007 Carver 41 CMY
                            Twin Volvo D6-370
                            Montreal, Canada
                            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Working...
                            X