Stranded for 3.5 hours....-gctid371355

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stranded for 3.5 hours....-gctid371355

So, been out on 2 shake down runs. One by myself, one wife my wife (it got her blessing), and today took the kids out w us for the first time. We started out just like normal- warmed up the motor, putz out of the marina, then opened her up. Ran 10-15 mins up river, then ran about 3200 for another 10-15 or so, dropped anchor at Lake Pepin for some lunch. Ate for about 20 mins, then fired her back up and proceeded back down river to the marina. A 1/2 mile later the rpms started dropping rapidly and continued til she died. That really didnt bother me, it was the smoke that was starting to roll out of the engine bay. So i turned on the blower and ran hopped back and opened the hatch- no flames, just smoke. It cleared out after 5-10 mins and the carb was drippin fuel on the intake- little drips. Just from the pressure in the system im thinkin. So check things over and decided to get moving. Found out that after being on the hook for three weeks, the batteries would now barely crank over the motor. So we wait... and try again in 15 mins, turns over but not long enough for the motor to fire. So wait another 15 mins, try again, same thing-batteries too weak to spin long enough to fire. So we try waving down some guys in their bass boat. It was my understanding that a person waving bright orange life vests would need some help. Apparently this is not true on lake pepin, we had four a-holes in bass boats run w/in 60 yards of us- did even slow down. So, i said f-it pulled anchor and started drifting... at this point i was fed up and didnt care. Hoping to hit sand and not rocks. After a couple hours, attempted to start it up, it took off and i hammered it. Goin good, then 300 yds from a lil marina, it started droppin rpms again. I continued to keep the hammer down- so close to the dock, it the n starts knocking or ticking. Like that of lifters in cars when they get low on oil. 150 out it dies. Im now talking to people on the docks who ive flagged down- they dont have any boats in their marina yet. we get the attention of some professional fisherman w his boat all decaled up by honking the car and boat horns. I get to the dock- THANK GOD!!! Now what? I need a tow to the marina i know.... anybody know or have had similar issues before? The previous owners have not had any trouble w the boat nor have i til now. I had the marina change oil in the motor and change the lower unit gear lube. Any help guys?

Long story short. Engine starts run for a bit wide open, rpms drop til the motor dies. Motors hot, gas drippin and begins smoking on the intake, starboard side. Then started knockin, still running, rpms dropping til it dies. Left it at a foreign marina for the night. Any ideas guys? Any input would be great- where do i start and what can i expect in repairs?

Comment

• dmcb
      Founding Member
      • Aug 2000

Did you happen to notice your temp gauge?

If I had to guess I would say you lost your water pump and it got hot. The smoke was your exhaust hose. You couldn't start because the engine was hot, expanded, and wouldn't turn easy. When it cooled it would.

The noise was its last gasp.

But that is just a guess.

The dripping gas however was very unsafe. You should not have put yourself and wife at risk running the boat. Fumes you know.

I don't think the two are related however.

But again just a guess.

Good luck but I fear for your engine.

Doug
      Started boating 1955
      Number of boats owned 32
      Bayliners
      3870 presently owned
      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Thanks Doug. Had we not, im pretty sure wed still be out there... isnt there a temp alarm for this? I ran with the engine door wide open... it didnt sound like it seized...no i didnt notice my temp gauge...%$@&^%!!!

Comment

• dmcb
          Founding Member
          • Aug 2000

apexaro1 wrote:
          Thanks Doug. Had we not, im pretty sure wed still be out there... isnt there a temp alarm for this? I ran with the engine door wide open... it didnt sound like it seized...no i didnt notice my temp gauge...%$@&^%!!!
          I suspect there is no alarm on your year boat.

If you turn on the key but don't start it right away, do you hear an alarm? The same alarm would be for oil pressure also. You wouldn't have any when the engine isn't running. You only have a short time to start before you hear it.

Doug
          Started boating 1955
          Number of boats owned 32
          Bayliners
          3870 presently owned
          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

the dripping gas only came immediately after the engine died, just wanted to clearify. Thanks again Doug.

Comment

usually SHARP cuts are eletrical.....slower cuts are hidrolic.....one of the few exceptions would be coil over heating that could cut off the motor.

I would start checking the coil, them I would check gas filter to see if is not blocked.....but that would not explain the smoke.....

did u check to see if the L piece on top of the valve covers were properly connected? Did u seen where the smoke came from? was like a burned plastic kind of smoke or burned oil kind thing

try to give mode details

Comment

So i called the previous owner, he had the alma marina replace the impeller year before last (2 seasons of use). He also had an temp alarm installed and it never went off. He had the same problem ten years ago, sucked up something, complete rebuild. So i guess its my turn. op-op-op-op-op-op-

Comment

To me, it smelled like electrical burning- plastic, rubber. Yes there is an alarm that sounds before it starts- so loud i can barely hear the motor start....

Comment

appeared to be coming from below the engine starboard side of the valve cover now that ive calmed down and can think straight.

Comment

Alexirocz28 wrote:
                      usually SHARP cuts are eletrical.....slower cuts are hidrolic.....one of the few exceptions would be coil over heating that could cut off the motor.

I would start checking the coil, them I would check gas filter to see if is not blocked.....but that would not explain the smoke.....

did u check to see if the L piece on top of the valve covers were properly connected? Did u seen where the smoke came from? was like a burned plastic kind of smoke or burned oil kind thing

try to give mode details
                      Everything looked as it should, nothing loose- i checked everything. Well except for the temp gauge- why not have a laugh huh

Comment

Was the fuel coming from the float bowl vent? (Top of the carb)

Comment

Rickster wrote:
                          Was the fuel coming from the float bowl vent? (Top of the carb)
                          Not really sure, the drip became visible on the starboard side of engine and port side of the silver thing hangin off the carb- hope that helps. thanks rick

Comment

• SomeSailor
                            Guru
                            • Feb 2001

apexaro1 wrote:
                            Not really sure, the drip became visible on the starboard side of engine and port side of the silver thing hangin off the carb- hope that helps. thanks rick
                            The smoke is the first clue. You've burned up your rubber exhaust couplers, your exhaust flappers, and maybe your motor. A qualified mechanic would be my next advice... and a BoatUS towing policy. Good luck with it.
                            Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Thanks guys! Guess theres always next season... still why no alarm?????????????? It buzz's when i turn the key? My honest initial thought was the gas gauge was off and i was outta fuel. Til i saw the smoke... will up date as soon as i can. Thanks again! Is it odd that im just kinda laughing about all this... i mean really, what the hell else can i do?

Comment

Working...