Trim Tabs for a dink-gctid371331

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim Tabs for a dink-gctid371331

I have my new Dinghy from West Marine. It is a 10' inflatable with a high pressure floor. Got a DEAL (as always!) I went to a store that was closing and bought the West Marine HP 340. Got it for UNDER $500.00! I placed a coat of Pettit bottom paint on it and ordered my numbers from BOATNUMBERPLATE.COM.

Anyway, I also got a set of trim tabs for an inflatable. Has anyone ever installed a set before? It appears you need to drill into the transom, through the floor material, and fill the area with 5200. It appears that the tabs unfold, and the rea of the pontoons hold them in place? Just a bit confused as to how they stay in place in the open position.

Any feed back from someone on these? Are they really needed?
    Tony, Cape Cod, MA
    Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
    1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    454 Merc Cruisers inboards
    "HOLODECK"
    2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
    www.bourneyachtclub.com

All you need to do now, is buy a nice outboard....

and sell me that little junior

Comment

Ya got me on that one buddy! I am looking for a 10 HP, and will keep you updated!
      Tony, Cape Cod, MA
      Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
      1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
      454 Merc Cruisers inboards
      "HOLODECK"
      2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
      www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

I installed "Smart Tabs" on my WM 310 RIB. Been too long ago to remember any install details beyond it was no big deal. They work because they have a spring that allows the tab to fold up when you have the boat up on plane.

They work very well, wouldn't have a dink with a decent size motor without one. One thing though, you can't drag the boat backwards in the sand 'cause the tabs dig in.

Comment

tonyiiiafl wrote:
          Ya got me on that one buddy! I am looking for a 10 HP, and will keep you updated!
          Yes, please keep me in mind. 10hp are a dime a dozen so I expect to be hearing from you soon. :beer-

Comment

I installed tabs from Maxi Marine on my older 9ft Boatus inflatable with rigid hull. It was a simple installation and their model has a bar from the tabs to the transom to support the tabs.

Just can't say enough about how much better the dink performs.

Pops out of the hole and planes at much lower rpm. I have an older 8HP two stoke Merc. purrs like a kitten. Keeps up with the Mother Ship at 14 knts with two people in it.

I think any trim tabs will show much improvement. You will be glad you did it.

But---as stated before, don't drag it backwards over gravel .

Corky
            1992 3688
            Bellingham

Comment

Working...
            X