2859 Diesel Repower-gctid371038

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2859 Diesel Repower-gctid371038

I'm looking to repower my 2859 with a 300HP Hammerhead or better yet the Marinediesel VGT350 along with a new DP out drive. Now I know this will cost more than the boat is worth but I'm keeping my boat. My question is will I have to beef up my transom to handle this kind of power/torque? Also does anyone have any experiance with the Hammerhead or VGT motors.

It is not your transom that will need to be beefed up to handle the load -- as (unlike outboards) most of the pressure rests on the stringers. I would be concerned about whether your outdrive can handle the torque produced by a 300 HP Diesel. If you look at the performance curves for most Diesels and compare them to that of gas engines with similar horsepower ratings, you will notice the torque is much higher in the Diesel. I am not familiar with your specific engine, but I would find out whether the drive is capable of handling it.

On that note, be sure your transom and stringers are not rotted. If they are, they need to be replaced prior to setting the engine in. I would also make sure your stringers are beefy enough to accommodate your engine's weight -- as I'm guessing a 300 hp Diesel will weigh considerably more than its gasoline counterpart.

Comment

If you can get it to fit, the boat can handle it.

Use a Bravo 2 outdrive.

We repowered our old boat a 2859 with a new mercruiser 375 hp engine.

It was a fantastic repower. Exactly what the boat needed!

Cruise speed with 200 gallons of fuel, three people including my 375 lb brother in law, etc... was 27 knots.

If it were me, doing the same repower again, or advising a guy like you I'd say to go with the larger mercruiser gas engine over the diesel. It just all depends on what you're after with the repower. I was after performance, pure and simple, and the 375 HP engine delivered on that!

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

I would opt for the VP DPH drive over the Bravo 2 .....just my 2 cents

Comment

ksanders wrote:
          If it were me, doing the same repower again, or advising a guy like you I'd say to go with the larger mercruiser gas engine over the diesel. It just all depends on what you're after with the repower. I was after performance, pure and simple, and the 375 HP engine delivered on that!
          I echo Kevin's recommendation. In the realm of high performance engines, the premium paid for a Diesel unit does not give you an advantage over gasoline. It is a different story with low performance Diesel engines -- as there is no comparison between them and their gasoline counterparts. But with the amount of horsepower you are seeking and the speeds you are intending to run the engine, you are not gaining a significant advantage with Diesel.

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
            I echo Kevin's recommendation. In the realm of high performance engines, the premium paid for a Diesel unit does not give you an advantage over gasoline. It is a different story with low performance Diesel engines -- as there is no comparison between them and their gasoline counterparts. But with the amount of horsepower you are seeking and the speeds you are intending to run the engine, you are not gaining a significant advantage with Diesel.
            I went with the Yanmar 6LP. I increased my overall performance and extended my range over 2 1/2 times without adding additional fuel. I am one happy 2859 owner!

I posted pictures and numbers here:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...mar-6lp-diesel!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X