Horrible screech from trim motor-gctid370353

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horrible screech from trim motor-gctid370353

The motors for my outdrive trim seem to be working fine, they lift and lower the drives like they are supposed to, but once the port side reaches the full down position, it makes a very loud, horrible, screeching noise. My stbd outdrive is the exact opposite. You can barely tell a difference in tone when it reaches full down position. In every other boat I've ever been on, there is a very distinguishable change in tone when the drive reaches full up or down position, but nothing loud or alarming. That is not the case with my port side.

So my question is, is there something that I should be greasing or putting oil on with regards to that trim motor?

Thanks. John
    2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
    Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
    Bravo II drives
    Closed-cooling

When I had a growing noise problem coming from my trim I checked my trim fluid resivor and it was about dry. Once I added fluid to it, it was fine. Might not be your problem, but its a place to start.

Comment

Yeah, I should have mentioned that the fluids are fine...in range. And the noise is normal when the drives are going up or down. It's just when that one side reaches its destination that the loud horrible screeching occurs.
      Bravo II drives
      Closed-cooling

Comment

Maybe the lower limit is out and not dis-engaging the when the drive is all the way down. Thats the motor trying to pull it in further.. Something to check

Comment

apexaro1 wrote:
          Maybe the lower limit is out and not dis-engaging the when the drive is all the way down. Thats the motor trying to pull it in further.. Something to check
          How would one check that?
          Bravo II drives
          Closed-cooling

Comment

I'll second the motion on the limit switch. Not that it's out of adjustment, but maybe a broken wire.

Comment

Rickster wrote:
              I'll second the motion on the limit switch. Not that it's out of adjustment, but maybe a broken wire.
              Any idea where I could find that to check it? Inside the boat or outside by the outdrive? The boat is scheduled to go in the water in 4 hours, so if it's outside, I'd like to take a look at it now before it goes in!
              Bravo II drives
              Closed-cooling

Comment

Working...
              X