LED(39)s and a Dimmer-gctid369785

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED(39)s and a Dimmer-gctid369785

I just got some 12V LED's... Going to change out all the bulbs in the cabin. Can you use a dimmer on the LED bulbs??

BUCKANEER

:arr

Generally not. There are some newer ones that will work "somewhat" with a dimmer. They usually go black towards the 1/2 way setting.

I am converting most of my buildings to LED and most don't work with dimmer, but maybe 1/4 do go down pretty low before blacking out.

Try it - what have you got to lose. You won't hurt it.

Comment

You need the correct dimmer, and they need to be dimmable LED units. The right dimmer is based on pulse width modulation, not voltage control or resistance. Essentially it turns them on and off hundreds of times per second. The LED units need to be compatible with PWM, and most actually are.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/2-Channel-Ligh.../dp/B001ES64MK

Comment

Thanks guy's for the info.... !!

BUCKANEER

Comment

I use this at home and on the boat. Works like a charm. http://www.lotusledlights.com/12v-led-dimmer-p-66.html
            Cheers, Hans
            2007 Carver 41 CMY
            Twin Volvo D6-370
            Montreal, Canada
            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I was told by a LED supplier that low voltage (from the dimmer) was bad for LEDs and shortened their life expectancy. Another option would be to use clusters of smaller leds on several switches or a 3 position switch

1=low 2-med 3-all = high. Dimmers also waste some power so having a smaller LED on would save energy over a dimmed large LED. It might be alot of wiring to save a few watts.
              Carl

Comment

BLCarl wrote:
                I was told by a LED supplier that low voltage (from the dimmer) was bad for LEDs and shortened their life expectancy. Another option would be to use clusters of smaller leds on several switches or a 3 position switch

1=low 2-med 3-all = high. Dimmers also waste some power so having a smaller LED on would save energy over a dimmed large LED. It might be alot of wiring to save a few watts.
                That's the best thing about pulse width modulation dimmers; they aren't the energy wasters that the old style dimmers were. It switches on and off rapidly rather than dialing up a resistor. When it's "off", there is no current flow.

Comment

I was told by a LED supplier that low voltage (from the dimmer) was bad for LEDs and shortened their life expectancy.
                  PWM dimmers don't reduce the voltage.

Comment

I wanted to put a dimmer in the lamps above the windows in the cabin...... Not much room in them to wire things in.... Guess I will just use the bulbs as they are... but will use a lot less power and not any heat..... :livid:

Thanks again for all the info.....

BUCKANEER

Comment

Buckaneer wrote:
                      I wanted to put a dimmer in the lamps above the windows in the cabin...... Not much room in them to wire things in.... Guess I will just use the bulbs as they are... but will use a lot less power and not any heat..... :livid:

Thanks again for all the info.....

BUCKANEER

You could wire a Phase shift dimmer in at the power source to the light switch.
                      Jim McNeely
                      New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                      Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                      Brighton, Michigan USA
                      MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Working...
                      X