Bravo II drive piled up on 2452-gctid369760

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bravo II drive piled up on 2452-gctid369760

Took the boat out for the first run yesterday. I had put a new Teleflex shifter assembly in as I was having some shifting issues last year and it seemed to help. Was out for several hours and when I came in to dock, no reverse and couldn't even get it into neutral. Shut off the engine and it coasted nicely right up to the dock (might have been one of my best yet). I took it to my mechanic and he said that when the drive was rebuilt in '08 (after the PO had hit a log) they had not timed the gears properly and they wore out to the point where they jammed. He is putting pricing together now, but it will be in the $3500 range to rebuild.

Anyone had the same problem? How does the pricing look and is there anything I should have done at the same time - since my wallet is already open.

frenchcreek wrote:
    Took the boat out for the first run yesterday. I had put a new Teleflex shifter assembly in as I was having some shifting issues last year and it seemed to help. Was out for several hours and when I came in to dock, no reverse and couldn't even get it into neutral. Shut off the engine and it coasted nicely right up to the dock (might have been one of my best yet). I took it to my mechanic and he said that when the drive was rebuilt in '08 (after the PO had hit a log) they had not timed the gears properly and they wore out to the point where they jammed. He is putting pricing together now, but it will be in the $3500 range to rebuild.

Anyone had the same problem? How does the pricing look and is there anything I should have done at the same time - since my wallet is already open.
    Check your coupler.

Comment

shift cable?

Comment

frenchcreek wrote:

As others have said, check everything else first.

If your drive needs rebuilding for $3500 I'd just buy a brand new one with a factory warranty. Cost should be around $5700

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

check the gimbal bearings and the u-joints......

:arr arrr

Comment

When you tried to pull it into neutral / reverse did the engine die on it's own ?

If not, the shift interrupt switch / circuit in not functioning.

If it did kill the engine when you shifted, disregard the previous statement.

Anyone else notice the "they had not timed the gears properly" statement ? This isn't cam timing we're talking about here.
            " WET EVER "
            1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
            mmsi 338108404
            mmsi 338124956
            "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

biohazard wrote:
              shift cable?
              +1

Comment

ksanders wrote:
                As others have said, check everything else first.

If your drive needs rebuilding for $3500 I'd just buy a brand new one with a factory warranty. Cost should be around $5700
                No problem! I'll PM you with my address so you can send me the $2200 difference. :kidding

Comment

frenchcreek wrote:
                  I had put a new Teleflex shifter assembly in as I was having some shifting issues last year and it seemed to help. Was out for several hours and when I came in to dock, no reverse and couldn't even get it into neutral.

I took it to my mechanic and he said that when the drive was rebuilt in '08 (after the PO had hit a log) they had not timed the gears properly and they wore out to the point where they jammed. He is putting pricing together now, but it will be in the $3500 range to rebuild.
                  You may want to know that the B drive uses Cone Clutch gear engagement very similar to Volvo Penta's Cone Clutch design.

This means that all upper unit (aka transmission) gears are continuously rotating while the engine is runnig.

There are no gears actually engaging/disengaging during any shift from Neutral to FWD, back to Neutral and into REV.

Only Sliding Sleeve and gear cup lock-up and un-lock-up during FWD or REV engagement/disengagement!

You may want to ask this gentleman how you "time" a gear set like this that relates to correct gear engagement or disengagement!

I'd suggest that you are either being blown smoke up your ____, or you misunderstood him!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

You may want to ask this gentleman how you "time" a gear set like this that relates to correct gear engagement or disengagement!
                    YEEEEP !

This isn't cam timing we're talking about here.
                    " WET EVER "
                    mmsi 338108404
                    mmsi 338124956

Comment

There are timing marks on the gear set that have to align with each other. This is what I am being told, and I have seen the marks on the gears and on the back of the housing. If someone know for sure this is wrong, I would like to know.

Comment

Well, ya got me on that one.

If I'm thinking correctly, the first gear reduction is in the transmisson (aka upper unit).

The main drive gear tooth count will be less than the tooth count of the two driven gears.

This gives the drive the first gear reduction.

If the first reduction is NOT 1:1 (and I'm fairly certain that it is NOT), then the gears will make many revolutions before any timing would align again.

Example:

29 teeth on the main drive gear.

32 teeth on each driven gear.

No way will these remain indexed once they begin rotating.

Sure.... they will eventually come back through and will align....., but one quick alignment, then many rotations before this occurs again.

Repeat, and so on.

Meanwhile, the sliding sleeve is free to index itself into a gear cup (i.e., lock up for engagement) in as many positions as there are stars in our universe.

Final reduction would be accomplished with the lower unit gear set.

The Merc transmission cone clutch is very similar to the Volvo Penta cone clutch transmission..... and there is no timing or indexing required.

If there is an alignment between the main drive gear, and the two driven gears..........., then I'm stumpped as to how this indexing or timing would work!

Again, I think it's smoke being blown in an area where you don't want smoke.

Edit:

I just called a man who I know who does the Merc B drives. Said he's never heard of gear timing.

If you do an Internet search, nothing comes up that I see.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The marks you mention were more than likely put there by the previous "mechanic" or by the current one when they were disassembling it.

This is a common practice by people who do not understand how things work before they take them apart. Mark everything !

It is their personal assurance that they can put it back together.

As Rick suggested, this guy is either blowing smoke or smoked something.
                          " WET EVER "
                          mmsi 338108404
                          mmsi 338124956

Comment

Clearly your mechanic is smoking weed and blowing smoke. Listen, don't be afraid to take off the out-drive and dig in there yourself. The out drive design is actually very straight forward once you look at it closer. Some of these "mechanics" take advantage of people ignorance and force you to spend thousands on something that may be as simple as shift cable adjustment.

Before you do anything drastic, take a look at your shifter cable. Have another person operate the shifter F-N-R and watch closely the action on the engine mounted gear shift assembly. You can also take off lower unit and try operating shifter by hand to see if it engages properly. If it does, the problem may be related to shift cable which is usually simple to repair.

Comment

We had the drive pulled back and were not able to move anything. We removed the shift cable and it moved with no problem, but could not get any movement from the gears at all, so it is not in the shift cables. He says the gears look good, looking now at the other components. Apparently the manual refers to these timing marks.

Comment

Working...
                              X