water heater frozen (see pics) , can it be repaired ?-gctid369741

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water heater frozen (see pics) , can it be repaired ?-gctid369741

I have a 1994 Bayliner 2855 Ciera Sunbridge.

Despite the fact that i have winterised my water heater i guess it has been frozen (see pics).

I haven't tried it yet , but if it has been frozen could it be repaired ?

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/673134=26273-06042012632.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/673134=26274-06042012633.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/673134=26275-RIMG0092.jpg[/img]

I doubt it.

The heater is a tank containing an electric element and an engine cooling system loop, all wrapped in insulation and enclosed in a sheet metal box. The inner tank - which is a pressure vessel - has been expanded by ice. The cost of a repair (parts) will far outstrip replacing it.

An option is to try it and see if it can withstand the pressure of heating up. If it doesn't leak, you might consider leaving it as is, but knowing the job is still lurking out there.

Comment

Short answer - no. It will have to be replaced. Obviously there was no antifreeze in the heater itself and it looks as though it was till full of water to do that type of damage.

Comment

I would doubt it can be saved.

Minimally if you just open the drain on the water heater and allow it to drain you would likely be safe for the winter. This style water heater is designed to drain.
        Jim McNeely
        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
        Brighton, Michigan USA
        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

I would say no, it's not worth even trying. New six gallon water heaters cost about $250US and and I doubt trying to repair an 18 year old unit with that amount of freeze damage would be cost effective. I'd either replace it or simply plumb around it if hot water is not a real neccessity.

Comment

Thank you all for your quick respons ! The overall answer is that it can not be repaired. Has anybody else ever changed its water heater ? If so , what brand and what kind of water heater did you choose ?

Comment

Toasted.

I used the same brand, they are expensive and didnt wana pay anymore then i had to.

Comment

I replaced mine with a Kuuma:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3208814...Types&var=sbar

Comment

The Kuuma looks like the same i have in my boat now. Are they the same ?

Comment

Most water heaters are the same basic configuration-

water inlet/outlet

coolant inlet/outlet

electrical hookups

Pretty easy fix.

Comment

mars wrote:
                      Has anybody else ever changed its water heater ? If so , what brand and what kind of water heater did you choose ?
                      From the looks of your engine bay, you have limited space for a WH. It may be best to purchase the same brand.

If not, at least purchase the same size and configuration.

Most all 6 gallon WH that are housed in the squared off rectangular sheet metal cases are close to the same size.

If anything, you may want to give yourself better access to the now AFT facing side of it.

This will allow you to drain it more easily come next winter.

You may also want to think about a WH By-Pass system.

Many of us do not add 6 the additional gallons of the RV type antifreeze to our WH.

With the By-Pass, you can still pump the RV antifreeze through your entire potable water system, but save yourself 6 gallons worth of RV stuff.

The immediately above image would be with the tank completely drained.

You can purchase a ready-made kit. These are a Y valve in case you're wondering why only two.

WH remains empty for during the By-Pass and for the winter.

Your also not dumping 6 gallons of RV stuff come spring time.

Edit:

I noticed that you are not taking advantage of engine coolant heat for your WH!

I also realize that your engine is RWC'd.

It can still be done, and you'll enjoy quick Hot Water when running from dock to destination.

Sometimes in as little as 40 minutes.

However, it does cause the need for this side of the WH system to be drained during winterizing as well.

Not a big deal, takes only minutes, if that.

Since you allowed yours to freeze and crack......., I doubt this will occur again.... right????

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

mars wrote:
                        Thank you all for your quick respons ! The overall answer is that it can not be repaired. Has anybody else ever changed its water heater ? If so , what brand and what kind of water heater did you choose ?
                        Too bad you are so far away.

I have one from a sunk boat. The tank is good just the case and electrics affected by the salt water.

It would be an easy job to make one out of the two.

Comment

Thank you all again for your reply's and suggestions !

I got a call from my insurance agent.

The insurance company will sent an expert to see if the damage is insured.

Where can i find an manual belonging to the damaged water heater i have right now i my boat ?

So i can show this to the expert.

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:

Edit:

I noticed that you are not taking advantage of engine coolant heat for your WH!

I also realize that your engine is RWC'd.

It can still be done, and you'll enjoy quick Hot Water when running from dock to destination.

Sometimes in as little as 40 minutes.

However, it does cause the need for this side of the WH system to be drained during winterizing as well.

Not a big deal, takes only minutes, if that.

Since you allowed yours to freeze and crack......., I doubt this will occur again.... right????

Rick, any corrosion concerns with doing this for a RWC'd boat kept in salt water? Would that diminish the life of the heater? I selfishly ask because I was going to do it, then decided not to...guess its no different than running the RW pickup through an AC unit...?

Joey
                            2007 Discovery 246
                            5.0L MPI BRAVO III
                            The "BAY-BEA"

Comment

Look up replacement water heaters with the same specs, adjusters will usually try and depreaciate the heater, find a reason that the water got into the heater other than neglect.

Check and see if your policy is an actual cash value police, no depreaciation on this, only the deductable.

Here is good info on the subject.

CASH VALUE VS AGREED VALUE

When selecting yacht insurance, it important to know how losses for damages to the vessel would be paid.

Some policies provide coverage based upon ACTUAL CASH VALUE. This means that deprecation will be applied whenever a loss payment is made. In the event of a total loss, it is very likely that one will receive much less than the "hull" value shown on the policy (and upon which premiums have been paid).

With an AGREED VALUE policy, the assured and the insurance company agree in advance on the value of the vessel. If there is a total loss, the assured will receive the value agreed upon. Some exceptions to this, which differ between insurance carriers, are canvas coverings, sails, batteries and outboard motors.

In both cases, coverage is subject to the deductible stated in the policy, frequently a percentage (most commonly between 1% and 4%).

In partial losses, the Actual Cash Value policy will depreciate based upon vessel and/or component age; an Agreed Value policy will replace new for old with no depreciation. Again, however, the stated deductible will be applied in both cases.

In most cases, you should select an Agreed Value policy.

This information was provided to me from the instructors at "The Chapman School of Marine Surveying" in Stewart, Florida.

Pat S.
                              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                              Twin 350 GM power
                              Located in Seward, AK
                              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                              X