Troubleshooting onboard battery charger-gctid369419

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubleshooting onboard battery charger-gctid369419

Guys , made my L5-30 home cord to run battery charger. Now, all last season i never saw the green or red light on my Guest 10amp 3stage , 2bank charger. I made my home cord and have had battery 1 hooked up for summerizing. went for the initial start today and had a slow crank and then clicking on my #1 bat. which was brand new last season and had full charge went i put it back in this spring. What can i look for to troubleshoot this charger, where do i start?

Scraping B wrote:
    Guys , made my L5-30 home cord to run battery charger. Now, all last season i never saw the green or red light on my Guest 10amp 3stage , 2bank charger. I made my home cord and have had battery 1 hooked up for summerizing. went for the initial start today and had a slow crank and then clicking on my #1 bat. which was brand new last season and had full charge went i put it back in this spring. What can i look for to troubleshoot this charger, where do i start?
    Was your switch for your converter or battery charger in you main panel turned on?

Comment

yes , main on and bat charger switch on.

Comment

It may have a fuse inside for each bank, check your instruction manual.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Scraping B wrote:
          Is there a reason you suspect the charger? Connections are more likely culprit; check those first. Do you have a multimeter? What is the voltage across the battery terminals? Check it with charger plugged in and unplugged.

P.s., I have the same charger on 2 trolling motor batteries. it never displayed the green LED. Red LED shows bright red when you first plug in the charger, and fades to off as charge comes up.

Also, it uses very cheap in-line fuse holders. They are prone to poor connections. Take out the glass fuses, gently squeeze the fuse holders at both ends and reinstall fuses.

Comment

unfortunatley i dont have the manual, but i will ispect all the connections and fuses. The original reason i supected the charger was becuz last 3 years i have never seen either light on , however never had a battery problem , the more recent reason i suspect charger was becuz it was pluged in and the bat was near dead. I will inspect more closley and hit you guys back , i will arm myself with the multimeter and get busy. me and a multimeter are like tits on a bull.

Comment

I have checked the output at the batteries with and without the charger plugged in . No difference, I have noticed from the charger i have a red wire that goes to my MBSS and a black wire goes to my neg post on Bat 1. Does this seem correct and why no change when plugged in , Also no lights green or red lit on charger.

Comment

Is the charger breaker in the main panel on?
                Cheers, Hans
                2007 Carver 41 CMY
                Twin Volvo D6-370
                Montreal, Canada
                Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

yes , main on , breaker on , batery switch checked voltage in all positions across batteries , nothing , no dif.. Checked in line fuses all seems well . I think i need a charger?

Comment

Scraping B wrote:
                    yes , main on , breaker on , batery switch checked voltage in all positions across batteries , nothing , no dif.. Checked in line fuses all seems well . I think i need a charger?
                    why don`t You remove the charger to a shore and try to charge the battery.i think that this way You will know if You need a new charger or look for electrical problem on Your boat

Comment

Working...
                    X