Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radar Arch Light power switch?-gctid369122

Group,

I apologize if I'm missing this somewhere in the forum. I've been trying to search the forum and find this information, but I can't. I tried finding a number to Bayliner for a manual (these olders ones aren't on the site and the ones linked here are all broken) but also can't find that. I see a post linked in another post but get 'no thread linked' error message.

I have a new-to-me 1987 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge 2550 with a radar arch. It has the frosted plastic over the panel. The panels were pretty rotten and the vinyl appeared to be original and falling apart so I needed to replace them. While pulling the arch apart to replace them, I found lights under each of these panes. I saw the bulbs appeared burnt out and found their replacement. However, I can't get any power to the sockets. I replaced the bulbs, turned on every switch I could find and still can't get power to the socket. I traced the wires down the arch to the connector on the starboard side of the arch. However, I lose it there... Does anyone know where this wire bundle (with power wires and the speaker wires) terminate? I've also checked every fuse (most under the helm in the stern wall of the head with a few in line for aftermarket add ons) I can find and all are good. I'd rather not rip everything apart trying to chase it down and thought I'd give the forum a try first. I'd like to know where it's SUPPOSED to be activated so that I can find out if it's a wiring problem, fuse problem or what! Any help anyone may have would be appreciated! I would suppose that they SHOULD be activated by the courtesy lights at the helm control panel, but not sure!

I think you're on the right path. On my old 38, the arch lighting was tied into the courtesy light circuit. At this point, you are probably looking at the grunt work of tracing wiring.

Comment

I don't have an answer to your quest to find the switch, or the fuse which services these lights, but I may have a troubleshooting method that is not well known that may help you. It's called voltage injection. Unlike standard troubleshooting with a meter and a probe, you use a known source of 12V and 'inject' it into the circuit while checking for the lights to come on.

Proceed like this: Turn off your battery isolator, or disconnect both/all batteries. Find the large red supply line that serves voltage to one side of the fuse bus. Make up a jumper, or use a jumper with two small alligator clips. Clip one side to the supply side of the fuse power, near the large red supply wire. Let the other end of the wire hang down without touching anything. Turn the battery switch back on, or connect one of the batteries. Your test wire will now have +12V on it. Use the open end of the alligator test clip to touch each of the delivery sides on the fuse block sequentially. One will power the bilge, the blower, the cabin lights, ignition, etc. When the radar arch lights come on, note that fuse. Disconnect the alligator clip from the red supply line, then check the fuse for an open, or for corrosion in the fuse block. If the fuse is good, work backward from that wire to locate the switch. It may be tough hunting!

If you can't locate the switch, you can always splice in a new switch from the fuse, and then back to the supply wire to the lights. Warning, if there is an open circuit downstream, your new switch won't be any good, but you've tested it and the light came on, so it should work. If you get through all the fuses and the lights don't come on, make sure you identify which fuse serves what load, so you can eliminate those fuses. At that point, I would test the ground of the light fixture to the ground on the battery and insure the ground line does not have an open. The resistance should be less than a few ohms.

Comment

Working...
      X