LP Paint-gctid576842

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LP Paint-gctid576842

I am looking at a new boat that has LP paint and it looks really nice.. Every boat I have ever owned has been gel coat and I have little experience with LP. I do not know which kind of LP as the owner has passed away. I have heard wax can yellow the surface.. What can i do to protect the paint from the sun, etc.. Does 3M have a proven LP paint protector? Anything special to wash the boat with?

The non skid is painted as well.. Anything that I can use with UV protection that will not make it slippery?

Bryan

I've seen the boat- NICE!

Bryan, use boat soap and water to clean, then a good wax (Collinite or 3M) on the vertical surfaces, and Woodie Wax on the decks.

Comment

I had my offroad truck painted with Awlgrip (an LP paint) and had zero issues with it in the AZ sun. No waxing or anything in almost 10 years. The same paint is used to paint aircrafts and holds up quite a while there. Only real drawback of that paint is that you can't fix small scratches by over-spraying it like they do with automotive paint.

Theres another good brand of LP paint more popular for boats but it's the same quality.

Comment

FWIW - most all larger yachts are painted with an LP paint.

Our hull was painted with Awlgrip 3 seasons ago and it still looks perfect.

Not recommended to use regular wax on LP paint - most anything comes off with light soap and water.

Awlgrip puts out a soap that works great at very small concentrations and a 'sealer' that can be used to clean off heavy rub marks or spruce up the finish every 4-5 years if needed. We have used the sealer to clean spot and it works well still no need to use it on the hull.

Hope this helps
        Northport NY

Comment

Pete,

It was nice meeting you and your family down at the boat last weekend. Thanks for coming out and looking at her.. I have a mechanical sea trial on Saturday and the hull, electronics, electrical, etc. survey on Monday. Once I have the fresh surveys I will send them your way for Insurance quote. If all goes well I might be able to bring her home on the 18th or 19th!

Comment

OK, thanks for the info.

Comment

What size boat are you looking at Bryan? Glad to see you're moving forward with another one. Hopefully the sale goes through and you can share some pictures.

Trevor

Oh, what is LP Paint?
              "Martini's Law"
              1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
              Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

"diveguy" post=576968 wrote:
                What size boat are you looking at Bryan? Glad to see you're moving forward with another one. Hopefully the sale goes through and you can share some pictures.

Trevor

Oh, what is LP Paint?
                HI Trevor,

LP Paint is what you paint your boat with after the Gel Coat loses its shine. My almost new boat is nice and shiny with the LP paint, she looks brand new. I will post some Pics ASAP. Thank you for the good thoughts..

Comment

LP stands for Linear Polyurethane.

What's critical is a good prep and the right primer. You also have to spray wet in wet. As soon as it's cured it will only form drops on itself.

Comment

Working...
                  X