Anyone try a CAST wireless lanyard?-gctid576826

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone try a CAST wireless lanyard?-gctid576826

Since I often fish solo, I am constantly aware of the peril I will face if I fall overboard. AND I HATE LANYARDS!

However, I sourced this one online.

http://www.wirelesslanyard.com

Thinking it was perfect for what I need, I called Maritech and ordered to 'activators' (one for the main and one for the kicker) and 4 fobs, all tuned to the same frequency. Now, if I or one of my fishing buddies falls overboard, whichever motor that's running will immediately quit. Once I'm back onboard, I'm told that I merely shake the water out of the fob and the motor will start.

Does anyone have one of these? They seem like such a -no-brainer to have.
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

I often fly solo also, my biggest concern isn't so much going overboard but getting back on board.

Have you ever tried to swim and catch a boat that is drifting with the wind? Especially a hardtop with the windows closed, it like a parachute.

Where I go, it just ain't going to happen. I tried it once with another person on board, I couldn't come close to swimming as fast as the boat was drifting.

My solution when solo is:

Never leave the helm with the drive in gear,not concerned with shutting off the engine.

Always have my auto inflate vest on.

......and here is my ass lifesaver if I am going to be climbing around the sides or bow or on the swimgrid:

I keep an orange pfd tied to a 30' rope with the other end tied to the boat, I toss it out behind the boat so I have a chance of getting my hands on something attached to the boat.
    " WET EVER "
    1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
    mmsi 338108404
    mmsi 338124956
    "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

What about this solution?

http://baylinerownersclub.org/index....-safety#573490

Cheap (as in $12) and I have used it now once and am really happy with "the freedom I gained". It's actually better than I first thought and with the clip attached to the PFD it's almost out of the way. Catch is that in a larger boat you may want to wander further away from the helm then the 15ft of cord but that isn't a good idea under power anyhow....

For the Velcro you have to use one with "the better glue" as the standard one won't hold well enough in the heat.

Comment

"dktool" post=576886 wrote:
        I often fly solo also, my biggest concern isn't so much going overboard but getting back on board.

Have you ever tried to swim and catch a boat that is drifting with the wind? Especially a hardtop with the windows closed, it like a parachute.

Where I go, it just ain't going to happen. I tried it once with another person on board, I couldn't come close to swimming as fast as the boat was drifting.

My solution when solo is:

Never leave the helm with the drive in gear,not concerned with shutting off the engine.

Always have my auto inflate vest on.

......and here is my ass lifesaver if I am going to be climbing around the sides or bow or on the swimgrid:

I keep an orange pfd tied to a 30' rope with the other end tied to the boat, I toss it out behind the boat so I have a chance of getting my hands on something attached to the boat.
        I ALWAYS wear my Crewfit!

Interestingly, I have been overboard up in the icy Queen Charlottes, and it was very difficult. Thankfully, my Crewfit deployed and its D-ring was tethered to the boat. I tried to pull myself up the 10' line, but against the kicker's 3 kt's, my hands quickly became too cold to grip. I eventually looped it around one elbow, then the other and eventually got back to the boat. Climbing back onboard was actually quite easy; I walked up the outdrive, though the moment I could reach over and kill the kicker, I did! From the stern, you think a 9.9 Merc is quite calm and quiet? Wait until you get in the water beside it with its prop spinning! Let's just say, I didn't need to hit the head for a very, VERY long time!

I have mixed feelings about spending the day being tied to the boat if there is another way. With my CAST wireless, if I land up over-boat in a current, I will call for assistance with the handheld VHS attached to my Crewfit. If I can get back to the boat, no harm, no foul. However, if the kicker is engaged and I'm in the water, I have absolutely no chance, .....none. IF I was going to be tied in, I'd want it strong enough to keep me with the boat, and I sure wouldn't trust a dog leash for that, especially when it is only clipped to a kill switch.

DKTOOL, when we SCUBA dive in a current (drift dive), we drag a " polypro line from the stern so we don't have fight the current to maintain our position, as one by one, we each get back on the boat. In those cases, the boat is either head into the current and the engine cut just before we grab on, or it is at anchor. Either way, the line will trail. But since I am not always head into the current, I would think that the polypro line will be drifting right along with the boat (and/or wrapping itself around the boat and the props) rather than trail it. Me-thinks I'll have to try it before I rely on it, but hey, it could work!
        "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
        MMSI: 367637220
        HAM: KE7TTR
        TDI tech diver
        BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
        Kevin

Comment

Working...
        X