Radio not working 1999 Capri LS-gctid576375

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radio not working 1999 Capri LS-gctid576375

Well as expected more issues; the Factory radio is not working, tried the prudent approach and pulled the fuse and tried a new one, no luck. I have replaced many car steros with aftermarket ones, seems like this would be just as easy, however on the car I usually end up having to pull apart the dash. Has one one replaced the radio on the 1999 Capri LS? Of so can you please give me a step by step, and any suggestion on the size of the replacement so there are no modifications/cutting to the dash needed.

Thanks for the help!

First you need to verify 12V and ground at the radio are good, use a voltmeter to verify otherwise the new radio will not work either.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

You leave a wire off the positive side of the battery ?

The ground they usually take from under the dash.

You have a acc. switch that is turned off that the radio works off ?
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Both batteries are up and running, I have it on A right now, the dash is working just fine when it is on, ACC is switched to on and still nothing. I will check the 12V and the ground ont he actual radio, but everything else seems to be just fine.

Comment

Some radios also have an inline fuse in the cable close to the radio which may be corroded or toast.

Comment

Tested the wires last night, all are working, radio is stil a no go. Any one have any suggestions on how to remove it from the dash?

Comment

For many marine stereos there are some screws which hold it to the frame from the backside unless it is one with a regular DIN mount. Then there will be some hidden holes on the front panel (usually covered with some inserts) where you have to push in a U-shaped "tool" to open the clamps. As they are all a bit different you have to search for the installation manual of that specific radio.

Comment

If the radio has a removable faceplate it most likely has slots on the to insert a tool to remove the radio from the mounting case, then the case will have hardware from behind to remove.
                1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Are the speakers plugged in?
                  David
                  http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
                  http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

I pulled the speakers out last nigt to test them as well, hooked them up to an old stero, not the best speakers but working......more than likely will replace them since they are out now :P Still no luck on the radio. I have had a lot of cleaning to do to get her sea worthy; also to avoid the head unit removal. Took a quick look at it last night, I will try and take picutres this weekend if I run into any trouble. It is built into the dash, the head unit has a tape player and then one of the Marine protection covers that pulls over it. I did not see any screws, but I am sure I just did not look hard enough. I will keep you posted after I have some time to tinker on Saturday. I can't wait to get her out on the water, but I have to be honest I love working on it! Thanks for all of the help!

Comment

A good marine radio and speakers would be a good investment. These old things are just not seaworthy and are easily broken. You can also run much better, more reliable speaker wire while you are at it.
                      David
                      http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
                      http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

My radio was held in place by nuts under the Tune and Volume knobs and a metal strap behind the radio. The knobs just pull off the shafts. I don't remember how the strap was fastened to the boat, but there was a screw through it into the rear of the radio. Besides the speakers and the power wires there is an antenna cable (just a short length under the dashboard).
                        1998 Capri 1950CL
                        3 Liter MerCruiser
                        Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Garmin 300 AIS receiver, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
                        2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

Working...
                        X