Leaving the battery charger on.-gctid368454

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving the battery charger on.-gctid368454

Is it ok to leave the battery charger on while connected to shore power while away for a week ? I have the factory battery charger.

Thank for any info.
    1988 3218
    Triple “O"
    Hino diesels

Seadoo Wake 170

somebody with your model/year boat can best answer this, but in general, if its one of the 'smart' chargers, that drop down to a float when fully charged, you're fine to leave it on. If its the old style that don't reduce the charge when appropriate, then no, don't leave it on full time.

If you've got the manual, it will explain which you have.

Comment

My 2003 245 has a 3 stage converter/charger and I keep it on for extended periods. You should look at the charger and Google the model number to make sure it is a good 3 stage. You should also make sure it actually works and drops down to a safe voltage when the battery is fully charged. My converter/charger in my camper malfunctioned, didn't switch to the low voltage when the batteries were charged, and overcharged my batteries and ruined them.
      It's all a dream
      '03 245 5.7/BIII & '07 Sedona pontoon

Comment

I leave mine on entire season, so far 3 seasons batteries are still fine. I have Flyback 30/3 charger that came with the boat.

Comment

I leave mine on all the time while plugged in to shore power - inverter/charger for the house bank, and Pro Mariner 20 for the genny and cranking batts.
          Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
          Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
          Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
          MMSI: 338030604

Comment

To each their own. If I were in the water and hooked up to shorepower and I was leaving the boat for any extended period of time, say over an hour, I would shut the charger off. When I returned to the boat I turned it back on. That was my personal preference.
            Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
            West River Yacht & Cruising Club
            www.wrycc.com

Comment

RGrew176 wrote:
              To each their own. If I were in the water and hooked up to shorepower and I was leaving the boat for any extended period of time, say over an hour, I would shut the charger off. When I returned to the boat I turned it back on. That was my personal preference.
              What if you start taking on water? Without the charger/converter on the bilge pump would run down the battery and stop.
              It's all a dream
              '03 245 5.7/BIII & '07 Sedona pontoon

Comment

mines always on.

Comment

Ditto - always on. I have replaced the factory charger with a 3 stage xantrex though,

Comment

Don9 wrote:
                    What if you start taking on water? Without the charger/converter on the bilge pump would run down the battery and stop.
                    I don't disagree one bit with the primise of that.

However, if the float switch is powered from the largest battery bank (hopefully your House Bank), it will operate the pump for quite some time as the pump cycles On/Off.

If the leak is large enough to really warrent concern, I think that there's a larger picture here.... more so than battery bank concerns.

You'll want someone to bring this to your attention, and ASAP!

We can all connect an alarm or buzzer into our helm switch circuit if concerned.

(perfect schematical location for an alarm connection)

If the bilge pump cycles, the alarm/buzzer cycles with it!

Slip mate hears the alarm..... they notify the marina..... the marina notifies you.

Or.... put a note on your boat that explains this, and post an emergency contact #.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Your year boat indicates it has a smart charger. By keeping it plugged in 24/7, you will prevent the battery from sulfating and killing the battery prematurely...

http://www.flyingbeet.com/electricg/batteries.html
                      Doug ;}
                      MMSI: 338068776
                      "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

I have a Xantrex Freedom Marine 25 2500 watt 130 amp charger/inverter. This is the first boat I have owned with one. I have had it plugged in for a few days now at home [the boat is going into the water tomorrow] just to top up the batteries which had been charged up a few weeks ago. I have 4 deep cycle 12 volt house and 2 31 series starting. It has been charging constantly since hookup-has not gone to float mode- and the highest readout I have had is 11.50 volts. Does anyone know how long it should take to 'top' up and is it common for the inverter to be warm to the touch and the cooling fan to kick on every 1/2 hr or so?
                        1989 Bayliner 2950
                        twin 5.7 OMC's with cobra legs

Comment

postie wrote:
                          I have a Xantrex Freedom Marine 25 2500 watt 130 amp charger/inverter. This is the first boat I have owned with one. I have had it plugged in for a few days now at home [the boat is going into the water tomorrow] just to top up the batteries which had been charged up a few weeks ago. I have 4 deep cycle 12 volt house and 2 31 series starting. It has been charging constantly since hookup-has not gone to float mode- and the highest readout I have had is 11.50 volts. Does anyone know how long it should take to 'top' up and is it common for the inverter to be warm to the touch and the cooling fan to kick on every 1/2 hr or so?
                          11.5 volts is not a float or maintenance charge. This is way too low.

The cooling fan will cycle if the charger is providing a heavier charge.

In float mode, it may cycle, but not as frequently.

Where/how are you reading the voltage?

Are you reading the voltage via a Xantrex LINK unit or a helm voltmeter?

If using the LINK......, is the LINK unit and it's shunt resistor connected correctly???

FY I: the charge leads for the Freedom series Inv/Chrg are the Inverter heavy cables.... not the eco charge leads.

These heavy leads (actully cables) make a direct battery bank connection, fused, and will not use the MBSS for any means of disconnect.

Are you set up like this????

Since this may become a slightly different topic, you may want to start a new thread on this.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

postie wrote:
                            11.5 volts is not a float or maintenance charge. This is way too low.

The cooling fan will cycle if the charger is providing a heavier charge.

In float mode, it may cycle, but not as frequently.

Are you reading the voltage via a Xantrex LINK unit?

If so, is the LINK unit and it's shunt resistor connected correctly???

FY I: the charge leads for the Freedom series Inv/Chrg are the Inverter heavy cables.... not the eco charge leads.

These heavy leads (actully cables) make a direct battery bank connection, fused, and will not use the MBSS for any means of disconnect.

Are you set up like this????

Since this may become a slightly different topic, you may want to start a new thread on this.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I am taking the reading off the link unit. The inverter is running through a fuse link to the batteries. This is all a steep learning curve for me. MBSS? Unfortunatly I did not purchase this boat from an owner/dealer so I was unable to ask all the dozens of questions I have.
                              1989 Bayliner 2950
                              twin 5.7 OMC's with cobra legs

Comment

Working...
                              X