New Starter not starting-gctid368311

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Starter not starting-gctid368311

I boat my bayliner in January and it had an old starter in it that had two wires connected to a toggle switch that needed to be swtiched in order for the starter to engage. I replaced that starter with a new one, Sierra part number 18-15919. Once installed the starter fired up without the aid of the toggle switch, but it sounded like it was hitting the flywheel.

I removed that starter and it turned out it was the wrong one. They should have shipped me Sierra part # 18-5911.

I've since installed the replacement starter, but not it wont start without the toggle swith again or connecting a wire directly to the battery.

Why does the wrong starter work correctly, key only and no toggle switch and the new starter which is the right one not?

You may have been sold another OEM style starter motor.

I'll try to post a picture of a 5.0L HTGR starter motor later this evening.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thank You! I really appreciate the help on this.

Comment

I replaced that starter with a new one, Sierra part number 18-15919. Once installed the starter fired up without the aid of the toggle switch, but it sounded like it was hitting the flywheel.

I removed that starter and it turned out it was the wrong one. They should have shipped me Sierra part # 18-5911.

I've since installed the replacement starter, but not it wont start without the toggle swith again or connecting a wire directly to the battery.

Why does the wrong starter work correctly, key only and no toggle switch and the new starter which is the right one not?
        I should have said earlier that you may have been sold a starter motor for the 168 tooth flywheel.

Your AQ series SBC requires the 153 tooth flywheel and corresponding Straight Across bolt pattern starter motor.... not the staggered bolt pattern motor shown last on this page.

The motor that you want will ressemble the Sierra HTGR/PMGR 18-5919........... you must get the correct bolts for this starter motor.

You do not want the Sierra 18-5911. This is a Non-Gear Reduction motor...........

This is the staggered bolt pattern motor that you definitely cannot use with the 153 tooth flywheel.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks again for your help. What does non gear reducution mean? Does it hurt having the 18-5911 installed.

Comment

The first starter motor shown, is a HTGR (high torque gear reduction) or PMGR (permanent magnet gear reduction) motor.

The armature in these turns approx 3 x's faster than the OEM style.

The armature is then gear reduced giving much more torque to the pinion drive gear.

End results are faster flywheel cranking.

The second motor shown is a non-gear reduction Delco Remy OEM style.

The armature and pinion gear are 1:1 with each other.

Neither Merc nor Volvo Penta are using this style these days.... and haven't for quite a few years now.

For an even longer period of time, the auto inductry has been using HTGR/PMGR motors.

The HTGR motor will kick butt over the Delco Remy style, and will usually draw less current.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

sorry for my question....but I thought the chevy 302 were a very rare motor I never thought was a marine version of those....

Comment

Alexirocz28 wrote:
                sorry for my question....but I thought the chevy 302 were a very rare motor I never thought was a marine version of those....
                I caught that also, and just figured that he meant to say 305. Either way, he's calling it a Chevy, and all SBC's in the early AQ series drives use the 153 tooth flywheel ring gear and starter motor bolt pattern.
                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Sorry that was a typo. I'll change that, but good catch.

Comment

Working...
                  X