Ring Gear Failure, Help needed.-gctid572670

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring Gear Failure, Help needed.-gctid572670

My 1999 Mercruiser MCM 4.3L 190hp Ring Gear is missing teeth so I need to replace it, I will try to do the job myself, I have some questions:

This engine is basically a car engine right? Which car and model is it so I can locate a new ring gear, part number would be handy if someone has it.

I am thinking of replacing the Rear Crank oil seal at the same time.

How important is the genuine Mercruiser alignment tool , Can I make one....broom handle? Is there an alternative?

I think this boats engine compartment was flooded before I bought it, hence the rusted ring gear and broken teeth, also the oil pan might be in poor condition too.

I have a Mercruiser Manual for the drive and engine but if anyone has done this job all tips, advice, guidance will be appreciated.

I have done a ring gear on a car before using a freezer for the flywheel and an oven for the ring gear so am assuming I can do it again or was I just lucky, will I need to heat the ring gear with a torch?

Also I will have to build/rent/borrow a gantry to take a block and tackle any tips about height of gantry from gunnels to give enough height to safely work on the Engine and how to support it/make it/ assuming the pan may have to come off. (Boat is on a trailer), has any one built a gantry for this job? I am assuming that a regular shop engine hoist is not going to work due to the heights involved.

All suggestions and Ideas greatly appreciated.
    Trophy WA 2052 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II
    Maple Bay, BC.

"Nigels" post=572670 wrote:

This engine is basically a car engine right?

[color]#000088 wrote:
    Well... yes... it began as a car engine! [/color]

Which car and model is it so I can locate a new ring gear, part number would be handy if someone has it.

[color]#000088 wrote:
    For a car/truck application, the transmission would be a standard manual shift.

Merc typically used the 168 tooth ring gear. If your starter motor bolt pattern is staggered, it will be the 168. If straight across bolt pattern, it will be the 158 tooth.

[/color]

How important is the genuine Mercruiser alignment tool , Can I make one....broom handle?

[color]#000088 wrote:
    Yes, but only if the broom handle dimensions are correct. :S [/color]

Is there an alternative?

[color]#000088 wrote:
    Yes... look at e-Bay. Often the generic part is available.

[/color]

I have a Mercruiser Manual for the drive and engine but if anyone has done this job all tips, advice, guidance will be appreciated.

[color]#000088 wrote:
    With the flywheel facing flat and supported in the center, heat the old ring gear up. It will expand and can be tapped off.

When you heat the new ring gear up.... be very careful to avoid red hot areas.

Over-heating may aneal the steel harming the heat treating that the gear underwent.

[/color]

I have done a ring gear on a car before using a freezer for the flywheel and an oven for the ring gear so am assuming I can do it again or was I just lucky, will I need to heat the ring gear with a torch?

[color]#000088 wrote:
    Just use oxy/acet... but again, avoid red hot spots.

Some shops are set up with a turn table arrangement. The flywheel is spun while the ring gear is being heated and tapped into position. [/color]
    Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on forum.

Comment

Or you can buy a new flywheel on EBAY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-MERCURY...22af55&vxp=mtr

Comment

New ring gear only...... $20 or so. Flywheel comes out anyway.

Here's a guy who does this in nothing flat. Note was he says at 5:28 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_sgiTa3gew
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Rick,

I think he said his flywheel and ring gear were rusty.

I would go with the whole unit for $80 bucks delivered.

Comment

I have the 5.0 Mercruiser and have gone through this twice in 700 Hours. Be very careful with the tooth count, there are 3 different starters that they used with this model and I learned the hard way that the starter will break ring teeth.

Comment

"check737" post=572843 wrote:
              Rick, I think he said his flywheel and ring gear were rusty.

Cliff, I think with a bit of elbow grease and this, he'll be OK.

Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I wouldn't.

By the time you include time materials maybe having to pay a shop I don't see any savings and you know it is on right.

If he sent you the flywheel would you clean it, paint it and install a new ring gear for $80 delivered.

Comment

"check737" post=572958 wrote:
                  I wouldn't.

[color]#000088 wrote:
                  I understand... but Nigels may be mechanically inclined and up to the task!

[/color]
                  By the time you include time materials maybe having to pay a shop I don't see any savings and you know it is on right.

[color]#000088 wrote:
                  See Nigels' post #1.[/color]

"Nigels" post=572670 wrote:
                  My 1999 Mercruiser MCM 4.3L 190hp Ring Gear is missing teeth so I need to replace it, I will try to do the job myself, I have some questions:

This engine is basically a car engine right? Which car and model is it so I can locate a new ring gear, part number would be handy if someone has it.

I am thinking of replacing the Rear Crank oil seal at the same time.
                  [color]#000088 wrote:
                  It sounds as though to me, that he's willing to give it a try himself.

[/color]
                  .... and you know it is on right.

[color]#000088 wrote:
                  Have you removed and installed a new one before? It's dang near impossible to install one incorrectly.[/color]
                  If he sent you the flywheel would you clean it, paint it and install a new ring gear for $80 delivered.

[color]#000088 wrote:
                  If he was my neighbor and/or a friend, cetainly!

If not being a neighbor or friend, and with shipping..... of course not.

[/color]
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Bounty thanks, if I had a lathe I would have a go at that alignment tool, still thinking on that one........ my neighbor has a wood working lathe not sure how accurate we could get it, now if I can find a bit of good hardwood, or a piece of nylon..............I thrive on challenge, thanks for the specs.

And yes I will do the job myself, I have never had this engine out before but have done inboard diesels on sailing boats, had engines in and out of cars most of my life because I enjoy doing it, never had the bucks to pay someone to do it, now I am retired so have more time and still enjoy the challenge.

Is the oil pan Aluminum?

I wish I could get a flywheel for $80 this is BC which stands for "Bring Cash", I'll be lucky to get a ring gear for $80! Hey but if you know where just let me know, its gotta be worth a beer or two!
                    Trophy WA 2052 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen II
                    Maple Bay, BC.

Comment

Got a junk yard near you, its not a marine specific part.
                      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

This ring gear replacement involves an engine removal, Chief.

I say..... limit his risks, and go with a new ring gear....... Yes/No???

Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Yes, engine got to come out.

He says he is in bum f nowhere.

He takes the old flywheel to the junk yard and match's up a good used one.

20 bucks all day long here in NJ local junk yard.

Not a marine specific part.

I say " whatever floats your boat ".
                          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

"Chief Alen" post=573020 wrote:
                            Yes, engine got to come out.

He says he is in bum f nowhere.

He takes the old flywheel to the junk yard and match's up a good used one.

20 bucks all day long here in NJ local junk yard.

Not a marine specific part.

I say " whatever floats your boat ".
                            +1

Comment

I'm finding it rather odd that this topic is turning into a debate. Isn't it a no brainer to use a brand new ring gear????

Nigels is in Sechelt, British Columbia, Canada on the Sunshine Coast.

He's having trouble locating a new ring gear without having to order one on-line.

If he's having trouble finding one locally, what are his chances of finding a junk yard that would have a good used flywheel or used ring gear?

And if the junk yard even has GM parts, they're likely to have a source for new... since this is a fairly common "wear" item.

And why would a person want to install a used ring gear onto their flywheel, or for that matter, install a used flywheel with a used ring gear?????

Would either of you install a used Merc drive coupler???

If this replacement did not involve engine removal.... sure... go used!

Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                              X