Swapping motors-gctid571468

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping motors-gctid571468

I have a 1988 23' trophy, I was told when I brought the boat that it had a crack in the block and that it was repaired with JB weld. I want to change the motor from a 230hp OMC to a 300hp Chevy 350. My question is will have to change the controls as well. How likely is the OMC outdrive to link up to the 350. Any and all advice is welcome.

First of all welcome to the forum!!

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 230 OMC is a Chevrolet 350 or maybe a 305 already.

The replacement 350 should bolt right up. May be some brackets etc that will need to be used from the previous engine.
    Joel
    1987 3818 Hino 175
    "Knotty Girl"
    Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Any SBC 5.7L after '87 will use the 1pc rear main seal arrangement, in which case the flywheel will interchange.

Most all other components should also interchange.

You mention 300 HP Chevy. How did this engine achieve 300 HP would be my question?

Marine builds are not quite the same as automotive.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Yes. You are right Chevy does make the 350 but I told that ford also made a 230 motor for this boat. The difference is in the placement of the distributor. Chevy puts theirs in the back while ford puts there's in the front. Thanks for the information.

Comment

"mrcchevy25" post=577127 wrote:
          Yes. You are right Chevy does make the 350 but I told that ford also made a 230 motor for this boat. The difference is in the placement of the distributor. Chevy puts theirs in the back while ford puts there's in the front. Thanks for the information.
          Which do you have, Ford or Chevy ?
          " WET EVER "
          1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
          mmsi 338108404
          mmsi 338124956
          "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

dktool: I have the Chevy. Most of my day was pulling the starter. trying to find any leaks in the drain hoses. Next I have to figure out why the horn isn't working.

Comment

"mrcchevy25" post=577201 wrote:
              Next I have to figure out why the horn isn't working.
              In that sequence:

bad contacts, blown or corroded fuse, bad horn. If you don't "test" the horn once in a while the membrane will "freeze" to the magnet and you have the perfect silent horn...... The factory horns I had to debug where all a bit flimsy and tend to corrode quick inside.

Comment

Working...
              X