When purchasing a used and new-to-you boat!-gctid570630

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When purchasing a used and new-to-you boat!-gctid570630

In light of the recent threads regarding engine related problems ranging anywhere from over-heating, to fuel issues, to ignition issues, to ____ issues, etc.... I'm posting this.

No matter what the PO tells you, consider taking it with a grain of salt..... unless you have actually seen the recent documentation.... or unless the sea trial goes extremely well, and without flaw.

Over-heating issues appear to be among the most common problems, and are often the most difficult for average Joe to solve.

Look at the cooling system as though it's problematic.

Inspect every aspect of it, and thoroughly!

Use the info that you've learned here or elsewhere.

Think like seawater.

What is your job?

Where did you begin?

Where are you going?

How will you get there?

What obstacles will you potentially run into?

What does rust scale restriction mean to me?

Is my PS oil cooler blocking flow from debris?

How important is it that my pump and impeller be in near perfect condition?

How long has my impeller been sitting at rest within the pump housing?

How are you going to exit?

Leave no stone unturned.

Comments welcome!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Great post!!

One thing I have learned is to bring someone else with you on the sea trial. That first time leaving the dock in a boat that could be yours, is sometimes overwhelming, and you get blinded by the lights, so to speak.

Nice to have somebody along that is grounded and doesn't have stars in their eyes.
    Joel
    1987 3818 Hino 175
    "Knotty Girl"
    Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

"canoel" post=570643 wrote:
      Great post!!

One thing I have learned is to bring someone else with you on the sea trial.

As in a tag-a-long boat? Yes.... I should have mentioned that.

Ole Murphy will be close by.... let's keep him at a distance!

Anyway...... what I'm trying to convey here is..... be pro-active and do not assume that all is OK.

Posture yourself as though things may not be OK, and are in need attention.

Should you find that things are OK.... you're one step ahead of the game!

It's as simple as this:

[ul]

[li]Spend several or more hours going over everything. Time well spent, even if all is OK. We'll call this Peace of Mind! [/li]

[li]Do NOT spend several or more hours going over everything.... and potentially pay a greater price later on! :woohoo:[/li]

[/ul]

For you AQ series V/P guys..... I can't stress enough the importance of replacing your PDS bearings, drive shaft bellows and the water neck fitting (just to mention several).

Keep the ideas coming in!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Rick, why don't you write up something about scheduled maintenance and what should be done on these AQ drives as an article? There's now a special section for that! Then it's permanently there and members can be referred to it. I would just keep it as key words like "check PDS every x years, replace it every y years". Then later the how-to can be added if needed.

Comment

"kjs" post=570828 wrote:
          Rick, why don't you write up something about scheduled maintenance and what should be done on these AQ drives as an article? There's now a special section for that! Then it's permanently there and members can be referred to it. I would just keep it as key words like "check PDS every x years, replace it every y years". Then later the how-to can be added if needed.
          The Hyperlinks in my http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in... AQ series FAQ thread were thought to have been permanent also.

So little consideration was given..... it sorta makes a guy wonder why he went to the effort!
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

"canoel" post=570643 wrote:
            Great post!!

One thing I have learned is to bring someone else with you on the sea trial. That first time leaving the dock in a boat that could be yours, is sometimes overwhelminThg, and you get blinded by the lights, so to speak.

Nice to have somebody along that is grounded and doesn't have stars in their eyes.
            Wise advice.

Don't fall in love until you buy the boat.

Don't be blinded by bling. Pay attention to the important things. Problems you can't see tend to be very expensive.

Don't ignore something important to you the boat doesn't have. You can rationalize it won't be important. But soon it will be.

Don't automatically reject a good boat because of some minor flaw or problem. These things can be corrected but a perfect boat with a bad engine, drive, or transom will be a terrible mistake. Worn carpet or cushions don't always mean everything was ignored. When buying an older used boat, it won't be perfect as reflected in the price.

After purchase, change and service everything like oil and impellers unless you have proof it was done recently. Then you have a known starting point.

As Rick says, check before you buy, not after.

Doug .
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            3870 presently owned
            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Working...
            X