Weaver Davits Installation-gctid569702

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weaver Davits Installation-gctid569702

I just scored a set of COMPLETE Weaver Davits for my hard bvottomed PVC dink. Any input on installation? I was going to buy the Weaver 2 part glue from DEFENDER, rather than the PolyMarine stuff from WM.

Also, I have never had an issue installing PVC glued things at the dock, on a non humid day. Anyone else do this and how did it go?

THANKS!

Tony
    Tony, Cape Cod, MA
    Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
    1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    454 Merc Cruisers inboards
    "HOLODECK"
    2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
    www.bourneyachtclub.com

Make certain that you use the proper glue.

Glue for PVC is different than glue for Hypalon.

I've glued at the dock and I've glued in my garage, both worked out OK for me.

Clean and clean up with acetone.

Follow the instructions on the can. You can get advice on the web too.
    Midnight Star
    1996 3587
    Twin diesels, Hino 250's
    Ladysmith, BC
    History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Comment

"tonyiiiafl" post=569702 wrote:
      I just scored a set of COMPLETE Weaver Davits for my hard bvottomed PVC dink. Any input on installation? I was going to buy the Weaver 2 part glue from DEFENDER, rather than the PolyMarine stuff from WM.

Also, I have never had an issue installing PVC glued things at the dock, on a non humid day. Anyone else do this and how did it go?

THANKS!

Tony
      I used the Weaver glue when I did mine on my last boat, was not at the dock when I installed them but it was deqad easy, followed the instructions and waited the right length of time before putting together and they held really well.

Make sure you have the right size Davis on the boat, I needed 2 inch extensions on my last boat to clear the bevel on the swim platform.
      BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
      5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
      Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

I have a 2859 and watched a professional as he was doing the work on the dingy. Here are the steps that worked for my installation.

1. Tie your dingy to the stern both for and after to where you want it positioned.

2. Lay the swim platform hardware where you want to bolt it down. As previously suggested, you can determine if you need the weaver offsets. Do not attach.

3. Assuming you have installed the metal parts to the dingy pads, dry fit the dingy to the weaver hardware to the swim step. Be sure to look under the swim step and be sure you are cear of any hardware under the swim platform.

4. Once you are happy here, mark the pad positions with a pencil on the dingy.

5. Put the dingy on the dock and prepare to glue the pads.

6. Outline the pencil marks with about a 1/8 over with blue tape.

7: Assuming the material is PVC, use acetone to activate the PVC material. Use a small disposable bristle burst with 1/2 of the bristles dust off so you can point, it brush, the acetone. Clean the pads also with acetone.

8. The contractor used a 2 part glue, but the commercially available one part PVC works also.

9. Apply the glue on the boat and the pads. Henused a heat gun for a couple of minutes to speed drying.

10. Attach the pads to the boat and use a wooded dowl rod or piece of wood to apply pressure. BTW, the dingy should be fully inflated during this process.

11. Remove the tape and wait 24 hours.

12. Put the dingy back in the water and again tie off the dingy where you want it positioned. Attach the swim step hardware to the dingy pads and mark the position for the four holes for each piece of hardware. Do one pad at a time and do not drill all eight holes at once.

13. I suggest that you invest in the hardware that you can remove. In the winter, I take off my dingy and the swim step is clearer.

14. As you are drilling holes in your swim step, I suggest the you retain the hardware to your wrist with a piece of fishing line just in case.

15. Once you have all of this done, I recommend that you invest in the Weaver standoffs, so you can transit the swim step for boarding or fueling. You will need to glue the standoff pads in the same manner. Dry fit all of this and you will need to drill and fit the brackets to your stern.

Sorry for the length of this, but hopefully it will help you. You may want to hire a local dingy doctor to do all of this.
        Dave Stancil
        Bayliner #1 in slip
        1993 2859 Classic
        10 ' dingy w/4HP 2012 DS4 Suzuki
        Bayliner #2 in garage
        2000 19.5 Capri Classic on trailer

Comment

"Dstancil" post=569994 wrote:
          I have a 2859 and watched a professional as he was doing the work on the dingy. Here are the steps that worked for my installation.

1. Tie your dingy to the stern both for and after to where you want it positioned.

2. Lay the swim platform hardware where you want to bolt it down. As previously suggested, you can determine if you need the weaver offsets. Do not attach.

3. Assuming you have installed the metal parts to the dingy pads, dry fit the dingy to the weaver hardware to the swim step. Be sure to look under the swim step and be sure you are cear of any hardware under the swim platform.

4. Once you are happy here, mark the pad positions with a pencil on the dingy.

5. Put the dingy on the dock and prepare to glue the pads.

6. Outline the pencil marks with about a 1/8 over with blue tape.

7: Assuming the material is PVC, use acetone to activate the PVC material. Use a small disposable bristle burst with 1/2 of the bristles dust off so you can point, it brush, the acetone. Clean the pads also with acetone.

8. The contractor used a 2 part glue, but the commercially available one part PVC works also.

9. Apply the glue on the boat and the pads. Henused a heat gun for a couple of minutes to speed drying.

10. Attach the pads to the boat and use a wooded dowl rod or piece of wood to apply pressure. BTW, the dingy should be fully inflated during this process.

11. Remove the tape and wait 24 hours.

12. Put the dingy back in the water and again tie off the dingy where you want it positioned. Attach the swim step hardware to the dingy pads and mark the position for the four holes for each piece of hardware. Do one pad at a time and do not drill all eight holes at once.

13. I suggest that you invest in the hardware that you can remove. In the winter, I take off my dingy and the swim step is clearer.

14. As you are drilling holes in your swim step, I suggest the you retain the hardware to your wrist with a piece of fishing line just in case.

15. Once you have all of this done, I recommend that you invest in the Weaver standoffs, so you can transit the swim step for boarding or fueling. You will need to glue the standoff pads in the same manner. Dry fit all of this and you will need to drill and fit the brackets to your stern.

Sorry for the length of this, but hopefully it will help you. You may want to hire a local dingy doctor to do all of this.
          PERFECT instructions! Thank you!
          Tony, Cape Cod, MA
          "HOLODECK"
          www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

The davit pad installation was a success! Thanks to the tips here and also the instructions made it an easy do. Now on to install the actual snap davits to the swim platform next weekend!
            Tony, Cape Cod, MA
            "HOLODECK"
            www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Working...
            X