Manifolds and Risers-gctid367321

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manifolds and Risers-gctid367321

I replaced the manifolds and risers with OSCO units in August 2006. I pulled the riser off last year and there was still plenty of "meat" around the gasket area. I routed out the riser passages, which were not that bad to my surprise. When and how long do any of you go with manifold and riser replacement? I do boat in salt water and she is slipped, so no flushing is involved.

What is the opinion of installing a flush valve where I could run fresh water through the engine and manifolds upon return to the slip? Is it worth it? have my ma nifolds and risers given me all they can and should I replace?
    Tony, Cape Cod, MA
    Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
    1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    454 Merc Cruisers inboards
    "HOLODECK"
    2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
    www.bourneyachtclub.com

Tony, you have a Volvo AQ 260 engine, which is a very common...and manifolds and risers for it are available abundantly. Replacing them is not at all difficult (in most cases) and the Contessa gives you plenty of space to work. If you are willing to do the work yourself, you'll save a few hours of labor for each side. I've helped a dock neighbor replace his and together we did it in well under four hours for both sides, which included clean-up. One of the manifolds was stubborn as hell, and we had to break it into two pieces. And my friend's boat had less working room than your Contessa does.

The cost is not high either. My friend picked up his manifold/riser kit (gaskets included) for a little over $400. If you decide to do the labor yourself, it'll be the cost of the manifolds/risers. If you pay a shop to do it, figure on adding 3 hours of labor (maybe more, but I'd be surprised if it is much more).

I wouldn't bother with a flushing kit. The trouble and money you spend is not going to increase the functional life of your manifolds and risers to such an extent to justify the cost, in my opinion.

I recall my friend's engine had something like 600 hours when we replaced his. He used it salt water (San Francisco Bay) during the winter and fresh water (California Delta) during the summer, so it received plenty of exposure to salt water. It's kind of similar to your situation, because we have a 12 month boating season and six of the months were spent in salt water; and you have a six month boating season and you spend it in salt water.

Hope this helps...and good luck.

Comment

If they are on your mind it might be time for replacement. Six years in salt?? How do you know when it's time for replacement?? Good questions and I wish I could figure it out too. Sometime all you have to go on is a gut feeling. Sounds like you are there. Like suggested previously they shouldn't be bad to do yourself.

Matt

Comment

I replaced mine last summer after 5 years....I started getting some rise in engine temp after running at higher RPM's for extended periods and I thought the passages might be getting a little restricted with rust, which they were. I didn't have any leaks but I'm sure that problem wasn't far behind.

Comment

I boat in NJ waters, last year was 5 years the riser was on my boat. Went out the first trip and the riser was clogged melted the rubber hose right off.

My reply to you 5 years maybe six in saltwater for the riser / elbow. Manifold who knows mine is original to the boat a 86'.

Side note i flush after every use, my boat lives on the trailer.
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Tony, I think that if you continuing checking and keeping an eye on the sea water transfer ports, you'll be OK.

Also, try your best to purchase the 95mm rubber couplers by the foot and about 2" longer than the OEM.

The OEM are way too short, and may become compressed into the scalloped areas of the riser oultelts.

I don't know what Volvo was thinking on this! rod

Sierra and Go2Marine unfortunately followed suit! :thumb

I'm pretty sure that we've discussed this before.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

So as long as I have that 1/4" or so of meat I am OK? I did notice a slight rise in operating temp last season towards the end of it, which is what was concerning me. The risers were clear, do the manifolds get rusted up and plugged or just disolve and leak?
              Tony, Cape Cod, MA
              "HOLODECK"
              www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

tonyiiiafl wrote:
                So as long as I have that 1/4" or so of meat I am OK? I did notice a slight rise in operating temp last season towards the end of it, which is what was concerning me. The risers were clear, do the manifolds get rusted up and plugged or just disolve and leak?
                You can only see a small part of the riser internals... it could very possibly be restricted where you can't see. Just do the preventative mantenance and replace them. You're overdue at 6 years anyway.

Comment

I bought my manifolds today. I usually use OSCO, but they were on back order for 2 weeks. I went with BARR. I was very impressed with the quality and that they included with the manifolds the mounting hardware, gaskets and the riser gaskets. Pretty spiffy company for sure! Installation on Saturday along with the new impeller and then fire her up. Launch in T minus 11 days!
                  Tony, Cape Cod, MA
                  "HOLODECK"
                  www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

good luck with your project Tony, I wish I could help you. I'll be around the Cape on the weekend of April 21 for business if you need a hand.....

Comment

Launch date is the 21st! PM me as to the where you will be and for how long. Would like to say hello and maybe have a beer.
                      Tony, Cape Cod, MA
                      "HOLODECK"
                      www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

The task has been completed. Due to my "procedures" they came right off with no issues. I use NEVERSEIZE on the bolts, and also a couple of times a year, will place a wrench on the manifold bolts (one at a time) and crack them, then retighten. So, after 6 years they came right off. truthfully, the manifolds looked great, and I think I could have gone a few more years. The risers were a bit blocked, but nothing that could not have been cleaned out. I replaced the spark plugs while I was in there, first set in 6 years. Although I always removed them each fall, gapped and reinstalled.

I went with BARR manifolds this time due to availability, and had a new set of Volvo Penta risers I bought on EBAY 2 years ago for $89.00 :greedy_dollars:

Once the task was completed, I installed the new impeller, and also installed the props. I am trying a set of B 3's this year. I am just shy of the WOT 4400 number, so perhaps she can handle the 3's? Then I connected the muffs. The old girl fired right up like the champ she is. Ran up to operating temp, shifted fine.

Spent the rest of the day washing and waxing. SPLASH is set for Saturday April 21st at 9 AM. The countdown begins!
                        Tony, Cape Cod, MA
                        "HOLODECK"
                        www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Working...
                        X