Splicing into water line for washdown pup-gctid367274

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splicing into water line for washdown pup-gctid367274

Rather than going through all of the hassle of putting in a new through-hull fitting, any reason why I can't tee into the line going to my head? That way I would tie it into the suction of the washdown pump and not have to cut another hole in the boat.

Any thoughts?

I don't know of a reason you can't do what you're suggesting. On a 3888 I split the head's raw water supply so it would also supply a raw water wash down pump.

What model of head do you have?

Comment

It is just the standard Jabsco manual head.

Comment

Hey Naval Orange, i did exactly that about 4 years ago on my 3055. just put a "Y" fitting on the head line pick up and have never had a problem. chances of using both head & washdown at same time very very slim !!

Comment

I too tee'd into the supply to the head.

Jim McNeely
          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

I've been thinking about doing this also. Does anyone see a need for a one-way check valve on the line going to the head to prevent possible backflow?
            Larry Purcell
            1999 2452 Classic
            Merc 5.0L, Alpha 1 Gen 2
            San Diego, CA

Comment

Good thought, it wouldn't hurt to do it. Might also make the washing a bit nicer.

Comment

LPurcell wrote:
                I've been thinking about doing this also. Does anyone see a need for a one-way check valve on the line going to the head to prevent possible backflow?
                If you do this, you will not have water in the head, you cannot check valve both ways.
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                  If you do this, you will not have water in the head, you cannot check valve both ways.
                  I think he means installing the check valve so that water can travel TO the head, but that any head stuff would not be pull into the wash down pump.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                    I don't know of a reason you can't do what you're suggesting. On a 3888 I split the head's raw water supply so it would also supply a raw water wash down pump.

What model of head do you have?
                    Mike,

Did you run this from the Galley sole under the fridge through Starboard side engine room? I have been thinking about doing this as well. Any info you have on your install would be appreciated..

Comment

Mine has never drawn water from the head. I have no check valve to the head.
                      Jim McNeely
                      Brighton, Michigan USA
                      MMSI # 367393410

Comment

I looks like that there is already a check valve in the hand pump assy that would prevent water from being sucked back wards, it there was not then air would be sucked back and the washdown pump would not work, you should not need a check valve, go for it.

I repaired my hand pumper befor buying an electric head, there is a check valve at the top of the assy.

I would install an extra shutoff valve after the y to the washdown pump.
                        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                        Twin 350 GM power
                        Located in Seward, AK
                        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

There is no reason to add a valve between the tee to the washdown and the washdown pump. The washdown pump will not allow back flow.

If you are worried about shutting down a system due to failure then both the toilet and the washdown should have a valve.

But the seacock will allow you to shut the system down if you have a hose failure and that's the most important base to cover.

-----

Regarding the concern of the washdown pulling from the head. Keep in mind the water coming in from the thru hull is under pressure. The deeper in the water the greater the pressure. Also the flow from the thru hull to the washdown pump is going to be the path of least resistance.
                          Jim McNeely
                          Brighton, Michigan USA
                          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

FishingFool wrote:
                            Mike,

Did you run this from the Galley sole under the fridge through Starboard side engine room? I have been thinking about doing this as well. Any info you have on your install would be appreciated..
                            No - the other way; I wanted an anchor washdown.

Starting under the galley sole, I Tee-d into the head raw water supply and mounted a 12VDC pump on a new base I built beside the seacock. I ran forward with the hose, under the master head, through the space beside the head tank under the master cabin, past the A/C unit under the master berth, and up into the anchor locker. I installed a flush-mount fitting beside the windlass, and kept the curly hose and nozzle in the anchor locker.

Comment

Would this work T'n off head through hole to feed A/C - reverse heat unit ?

Been thinking of adding A/C to the boat

Comment

Working...
                              X