Volvo AQ125A timing...again-gctid367253

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volvo AQ125A timing...again-gctid367253

Last year I was having trouble with low RPM's. I was told to check the timing and sure enough it was off. I changed the timing belt and adjusted the timing to the correct specs and everything seemed fine. Near the end of the season I was heading out and the engine sputterd and stalled. I got it started again right away and it ran for about 30 min and then it stalled again. I was able to get it started one more time and then it stalled again and that was it, it was done. After being towed back in I started tooking into things. I thought because of the way it stalled it wasn't getting fuel, so I replaced the fuel pump. But as I was working on that I noticed black dust all over the engine. And sure enough the new timing belt was stripped. Well at that point I had enough and put the boat away for the winter. Today I talked to my marina mechanic and he's telling me it's the cam(without looking at it). I was to cheap and lazy to replace the tensioner on the timing belt and I know Bounty is going to say I told you so. But I'm hoping thats all that is wrong with this engine.

i HAVE A AQ125A ALSO, i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY ENGINE NUMEROUS TIMES, engine RUNS GREAT THEN AFTER AWHILE IT STALLS OUT, SOMETIMES DOESN'T START, DOESN'T GET ENOUGH RPM'S. HESITATES.ETC,. uSUALLY WHAT I DO IS RECHECK THE TIMING THEM FIGURE OUT FROM THERE. BOUNCING AROUND ALOT CAN KNOCK THE TIMING OUT A LITTLE BIT. i WOULD CHANGE THE POINT, CONDENSOR AND RETIME THE ENGINE. tHE DISTRIBUTOR NEEDS TO BE IN THE RIGHT POSITION. A BURNT OUT POINT WOULD PREVENT THE ENGINE FROM STARTING! MAKE SURE ITS GAPPED RIGHT. aLWAYS RUNS LIKE A CHAMP AFTER I DO THIS.

lAST YEAR I CHANGED MY TIMING BELT ALSO BECAUSE IT SHREDDED INTO PIECES, ITWAS A PAIN BECAUSE I HAD TO TAKE OF MOST OF THE FRONT PART OF THE ENGINE TO GET TO IT, THEN THE BRIDGE BOLT WAS RUSTED AND BROKE INTO THE BLOCK. THATS THE PIECE OF METAL PLATE WITH THE TIMING MARKS, THAT COST 125 BRAND NEW FROM DEALER, THANK GOD FOR EBAY. $20 LOOKS BRAND NEW!!!!

WHY DOES HE THINK ITS THE CAM?.

Comment

No..... I won't tell you that. We're usually much harder on ourselves, and don't need others beating up on us.

Check all three of the cogged pulleys. Make sure that no roughness is chewing the belt up.

Also replace the tensioner unit and make darn sure that it's adjusted correctly.

This is the same as the automotive tensioner, and will save you a few dollars.

The alignment of the pulleys is more important than the markings on the belt.

The markings will only align initially.

Once you fire the engine up, it will make many revolutions before the markings align again.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Most people will lose belts, because they will not do the re-tensioning/re-time process after installing the new belt and it gets too loose. This is sort of understandable, because you have to remove the cooling system on some of them to access the tensioner.

It could also be an oil leak getting on the belt.

Seakamp is now making a complete replacement cooling system for these that allows belt and tensioner access without removing the cooling system.

You can also get aftermarket timing belts that are alot stronger from Knox motorsports.

Comment

Working...
        X