MercCruiser water pump question-gctid367250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MercCruiser water pump question-gctid367250

I have a 2004 Bayliner 289 with a 300 hp Mercruiser engine. The water pump is original equipment and I've had no problems with engine overheating. In a recent conversation with another boat owner, it was recommended that I change out the water pump. I was told that it should be changed every 3-4 years. Does anyone have any comments or adevice about this? Thanks

You do not need to change the water pump on the front of the motor. You do need to change the impeller in the Sea water pump on the lower left of the engine. When I ran the river I changed mine every year. Now that I stay on lake I will change every 2 years. Cost is only$30 so I would rather do it when it is planned and not in the middle of the lake.

Comment

Outlaw32 wrote:
      You do not need to change the water pump on the front of the motor. You do need to change the impeller in the Sea water pump on the lower left of the engine. When I ran the river I changed mine every year. Now that I stay on lake I will change every 2 years. Cost is only$30 so I would rather do it when it is planned and not in the middle of the lake.
      Thanks outlaw32 for your timely reply! I'm in the Puget Sound area and keep my boat in salt water year round. Would that make a difference? And it is the sea water pump for cooling purposes I'm speaking of. Thanks!

Comment

As you can see I have the same boat. After 3 years I changed mine and the impellor was in bad shape. Since than I have done a change every 2 years. The first time it was a bear getting the pump removed. The housing has a flange and was hung up on the engine stringer. I had to remove some other stuff (cannot remember exactly what) to get the pump out. I took the pump and cut off the flange that was causing the pump to hang up. Now it is pretty simple to take apart and replace parts. Two years ago I rebuilt the entire pump, new seals and bearings and had to buff out the shaft at where the seal was (leaking water out the shaft). So far so good. I use a big tie wrap to hold the blades in position when I push the impellor down onto the shaft and into the housing, also a bunch of water soluable grease.

Comment

Rock wrote:
          As you can see I have the same boat. After 3 years I changed mine and the impellor was in bad shape. Since than I have done a change every 2 years. The first time it was a bear getting the pump removed. The housing has a flange and was hung up on the engine stringer. I had to remove some other stuff (cannot remember exactly what) to get the pump out. I took the pump and cut off the flange that was causing the pump to hang up. Now it is pretty simple to take apart and replace parts. Two years ago I rebuilt the entire pump, new seals and bearings and had to buff out the shaft at where the seal was (leaking water out the shaft). So far so good. I use a big tie wrap to hold the blades in position when I push the impellor down onto the shaft and into the housing, also a bunch of water soluable grease.
          Hi Rock, thanks so much for sharing your experience and advice. You've helped make my decision. You've got a nice looking boat indeed! Appreciate your time and have a great rest of your day.

Comment

Working...
          X