Fuel tank pickup thread size-gctid366782

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tank pickup thread size-gctid366782

I want a dip stick that goes to the bottom of the fuel tank.

I pulled the dip stick and it ends far above the bottom of the tank.

I got suspicious of the short dip stick when i ran out of gas with plenty left on the gauge (at least 1/3)

Im used to work with metrics and not too sure on inches.

Can anyone guide me to what the tank fitting is supposed to be in thread size for my tank?

is it the same threads size for the barbed fitting that goes in the tank fitting?

Original is aluminum, does it matter if it is brass or alum?

Thanks

Hans

Firsr off that is not a dipstick, it is your fuel pickup or your fuel guage.

If it is your fuel pick up, they never go all the way to the botton because of possible contamination.

If it is your fuel gage then the only thing that is near the bottom is the float, a lever with a float at the end, most fuel gauge floats are also not set on the bottom, but they are near, gives you some reserve, also some tanks have a sloped bottom and the float it usually located there at the low spot. Remember, if your tank does not have a flate bottom the gauge will be off if you set the float too low.

It is possible that somwone replaced the sender in the tank and set it wrong, if so you gan re-adjust or buy a new one. You can go online to teleflex and there are directions for setting the float.

When I installed new guages I had empty tanks, I then filled egough gas to equal 1/4 tank and marked the gauge, then 1/2-3/4-full.

Hope this helps.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Mohabba wrote:
      Can anyone guide me to what the tank fitting is supposed to be in thread size for my tank?
      1/4" pipe

Mohabba wrote:
      is it the same threads size for the barbed fitting that goes in the tank fitting?
      Yes

Mohabba wrote:
      Original is aluminum, does it matter if it is brass or alum?
      The fitting on the tank in my 1998 2052 Trophy is stainless with a plastic tube.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

im looking at the pick-up tubes on this site:

http://greatlakesskipper.com/categor...-hardware.html

Im a little confused on the different sizes.

Do all the pickups have same "standard" thread size for the tank, with just varying lengths tubes and size for fittings (barbed)?

Would someone pin-point the fitting that i need as for thread size for the tank?

Thanks

Comment

Commonly referred to as a "dip tube", and that may be where dip stick came from.

The threads will be US tapered pipe threads.... probably 3/8" because the ID needs to accommodate the dip tube.

Why not purchase a new one that is longer than need be, and shorten it???

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I will by a long one and shorten it.

im just very confused on the sizes of threads of the fittings for the tank and for the barbed fitting. I just want to understand the thread sizes so i dont order the wrong ones.

Are the "standard" fittings the same thread size for the tank? are the listed tubes just different lengths tubes but same "standard" thread size?

earlier in this post it was suggested 1/4 pipe and now 3/8

Most of the tube-kits just states the length of the tube and "standard". I dont see any of the tubes mentioning 1/4 or 3/8 threading or threading size for a barbed fitting.

Comment

Mohabba wrote:
                im just very confused on the sizes of threads of the fittings for the tank and for the barbed fitting. I just want to understand the thread sizes so i dont order the wrong ones.

Are the "standard" fittings the same thread size for the tank? are the listed tubes just different lengths tubes but same "standard" thread size?

earlier in this post it was suggested 1/4 pipe and now 3/8

Most of the tube-kits just states the length of the tube and "standard". I dont see any of the tubes mentioning 1/4 or 3/8 threading or threading size for a barbed fitting.
                Look closely, you will see the thread size mentioned. Otherwise, everyone would be having trouble ordering one.

I'll make this easy for you, but you'll have to do the US to Metric conversions.

These are the dimensions at the largest OD area of the Tapered Threaded surface and the corresponding ID:

1/4" TP will be approximately .530" OD .350" ID .... do the conversion to Metric.

3/8" TP will be approximately .675" OD .440" ID .... do the conversion to Metric.

1/2" TP will be approximately .815" OD .620" ID .... do the conversion to Metric.

No need to worry about your barbed fitting on the Anti-Siphon valve, these are typically 1/4" TP, and will be re-used in the new Dip Tube.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks for the info, but i dont need to convert just to pick the right fitting for my tank from Greatlakesskipper.

I dont know the thread size for my setup.

I broke my barbed fitting in the pickup tube fitting and the tube is too short.

i need a need a new tube and barbed fitting.

Is it 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2"?

This is the info for the pickup tubes on the site "Measures approximately 17 1/4" overall with a 1/2" ID x 7/8" OD stainless steel threaded fitting." or

"It measures approximately 7 3/4 " x 1" overall with a 7/16" ID aluminum threaded pick up. The tube itself measures 6" long."

They just mention "standard" pickup, not 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2"

Comment

Mohabba wrote:
                    1.... Thanks for the info, but i dont need to convert just to pick the right fitting for my tank from Greatlakesskipper.

I dont know the thread size for my setup.

2..... I broke my barbed fitting in the pickup tube fitting and the tube is too short.
                    1.... If you have the old dip tube at hand, use a dial indicator caliper and measure the OD at the largest area of the tapered fitting threads.

I made the assumption that you'd be working in Metric.

That is why I suggested doing the conversion which will get you the US TP thread information that you need.

2..... This should NOT be an ordinary barbed fitting.

Look closely at it. It should be an Anti-Siphon valve (mild spring and check ball within).... and most likely 1/4" tapered pipe threads.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks Bounty,

Ill try and see if i can identify the thread size.

I just thought that it would be the same as most everyones newer Bayliner setup.

Comment

Mohabba wrote:
                        Thanks Bounty,

Ill try and see if i can identify the thread size.

I just thought that it would be the same as most everyones newer Bayliner setup.
                        There will be enough difference between the three sizes that you won't mistake them.

IOW, when you measure this at the largest thread diameter, if it's even close to .675" OD then you'll know that it's 3/8" TP.

.675 " = 17.145 mm

If smaller, it can't help but be 1/4" tapered pipe.

If larger, it can't help but be 1/2" tapered pipe.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

ok thanks, that should make it easy for me.

Now where did i hide that tube so i could easily find it next season.....

Comment

Working...
                          X