Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snap/ Screw Repair-gctid557001

Hi all,

This weekend as I was undoing my canvas form the transform, the screw securing the male end of the snap to the gel coat came out. Any tips how to mount it back in? (the threads are toast) any sort of epoxy that will work and secure the screw without coming back out?

Fill with epoxy and let it cure. Pilot drill the hole and replace the stud.

Easy Peasy
    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

For an even stronger repair, coat the stud screws and underside with wax. Fill the hole and set the stud in the hole. The epoxy will seal around the threads making a solid fastener without drilling but the wax will allow you to unscrew the stud.
      David
      2880 Sunray
      St.Lawrence River
      http://baylinerownersclub.ca
      Facebook
      Twitter

Comment

Epoxy or JB Weld best. Quick and dirty, break off a couple of tooth picks in the hole. Screw it back in.

Doug
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned
        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

"dmcb" post=557024 wrote:
          Epoxy or JB Weld best. Quick and dirty, break off a couple of tooth picks in the hole. Screw it back in.

Doug
          That's actually how I would fix my own (toothpick or matchstick and a dob of epoxy). But ya know folks wouldn't settle for that on here. Someone will eventually suggest a helicoil. (kidding)

iBoatNW

Comment

Haha, Kidding but barely eh?
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            3870 presently owned
            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I keep epoxy on board for minor repairs. This is the handiest and performs extremely well.

I also keep a handful of laminate counter top samples. They are perfect for mixing a small batch of epoxy with a popsicle stick, and toss it with no clean up worries.

Pick up a few every time you walk through Home Depot.

Comment

But ya know folks wouldn't settle for that on here. Someone will eventually suggest a helicoil. (kidding)
                HAHA. That's funny!
                Ted G
                The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                Designers Edition
                Mercury 350 Mag
                290 Volvo DP

Comment

These are handy for the boat. Neat pre-measured foil packs of two-part epoxy. Just cut the end off and you get a teaspoon or so of epoxy ready to go. You can get them in most electronics supply houses.

iBoatNW

Comment

As for picking up laminate counter top samples from Home Depot I would find another alternative. Unless you plan to but a counter top some might consided that stealing.

Comment

They give them away.

Why is that stealing, it's a sample.

You walk thru Cotsco they give food samples away, that's stealing ?
                      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Only get the white ones, them you tell that voice in your head you're color matching.

iBoatNW

Comment

They have them there for people intrested in buying a counter top. They pick up a samples to take it home to see which top best goes with their kitchen. Cotsco give out food samples hoping you'll buy the produce. Ok instead of stealing how about if you have no intention of purchasing a counter top it might be unethical? Sorry just my opinion but I'm old.

Comment

"whiskywizard" post=557154 wrote:
                            I keep epoxy on board for minor repairs. This is the handiest and performs extremely well.

I also keep a handful of laminate counter top samples. They are perfect for mixing a small batch of epoxy with a popsicle stick, and toss it with no clean up worries.

Pick up a few every time you walk through Home Depot.
                            Simply genius. I'm hitting the hardware store tomorrow to steal samples.
                            "Martini's Law"
                            1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
                            Nova Scotia, Canada

Comment

"1stshop" post=557235 wrote:
                              Ok instead of stealing how about if you have no intention of purchasing a counter top it might be unethical? Sorry just my opinion but I'm old.
                              OK... I'm old too, but still send samples to people who ask. Just cost of doing business. For a .03 cent sample they just got free advertising on a international boating site. Not a bad trade.

iBoatNW

Comment

Working...
                              X