Water pump question-gctid366330

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pump question-gctid366330

I have a marine water pump rebuild kit here that has the impeller of brass and SS bearing, and seal..

My question is can I use a car pump if I replace the innards with the marine innards? Everything else

Is the same externally that I can see. I have a press and all to do the job. And it would be a great

Expense reducing thing.. Just asking..

Jim

I assume you are referring to the circulating pump, not the supply pump. On one of my 7.4 Litre engines, I did replace the water pump with a conventional automotive pump, still running after 15 years. But, the boat is operated in fresh water (Lake Superior), open cooling system.

Comment

Jim, need more information.

Will this new engine be raw water cooled, or equipped with a Closed Cooling system?

If CCS, then you can easily use the Automotive Circulating pump. It won't know that it's installed in a Marine Engine unless you tell it!

If raw water cooled, then you must use the Marine version if you want any longevity from it.

The impeller will be bronze, the rear cover will be SS, and the ceramic seal is a bit different in-that it will not be lubricated with Ethylend Glycol.

I believe that the double bearings are the same.

These are nothing more than a SBC Short Body Circ pump housing, so the kit should work with either casting.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Saltwater the vanes need to be brass otherwise the casting the same.
        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

SuperiorDiver wrote:
          I assume you are referring to the circulating pump, not the supply pump. On one of my 7.4 Litre engines, I did replace the water pump with a conventional automotive pump, still running after 15 years. But, the boat is operated in fresh water (Lake Superior), open cooling system.
          Yes Sir, Circulating pump is what I was refering to.. It will be in fresh water only. I was going to ask abut the auto type pump, but I did not want to start

any crazyness going here.

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
            Jim, need more information.

Will this new engine be raw water cooled, or equipped with a Closed Cooling system?

If CCS, then you can easily use the Automotive Circulating pump. It won't know that it's installed in a Marine Engine unless you tell it!

If raw water cooled, then you must use the Marine version if you want any longevity from it.

The impeller will be bronze, the rear cover will be SS, and the ceramic seal is a bit different in-that it will not be lubricated with Ethylend Glycol.

I believe that the double bearings are the same.

These are nothing more than a SBC Short Body Circ pump housing, so the kit should work with either casting.

You funny guy Bounty.. "Unless I tell it..."

It is raw water.. So I'll change the inards eather way just to be safe..

Thanks a ton Guy's..

Comment

Working...
            X