Water in oil and cylinders-gctid364934

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water in oil and cylinders-gctid364934

Well today I attempted to start my engine just to run it for a while and it would barely turn over. I just replaced the starter a little while ago so I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem. I checked the oil and it was showing about a quart to much so I sucked some out and sure enough I sucked a lot of water out (salt water at that). I pulled all the plugs and there was water in every cylinder. From what I've read this is usually from a blown head gasket, cracked head or block or exhaust manifold. I took the exhaust manifolds off and didn't see any obvious cracks although they were pretty rusty and definately need to be replaced. I'm going to take the heads off tomorrow and check them out. My main question is, is there any way that this engine can be saved or am I pretty much screwed because of the salt water? Any advice would be much appreciated.

IMMEDIATELY remove the oil and pickle the engine. Google that for instructions, you'll find lots of them. Basically you want to coat every part of the motor in oil and remove the salt water NOW.

Water in every cylinder sounds like an intake manifold to me, though I've never seen one rust through?

Is this engine raw water cooled or fresh? If fresh, are the risers raw or fresh?

Comment

And yes, it can be salvaged if you act quickly.

Comment

Is this engine raw water cooled or fresh? If fresh, are the risers raw or fresh?[/QUOTE]

Not to correct you swampy (ok I'm going to) but all risers are raw cooled - I think you were meaning manifolds.

Comment

captainhoffman wrote:
          Well today I attempted to start my engine just to run it for a while and it would barely turn over. I just replaced the starter a little while ago so I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem. I checked the oil and it was showing about a quart to much so I sucked some out and sure enough I sucked a lot of water out (salt water at that). I pulled all the plugs and there was water in every cylinder. From what I've read this is usually from a blown head gasket, cracked head or block or exhaust manifold. I took the exhaust manifolds off and didn't see any obvious cracks although they were pretty rusty and definately need to be replaced. I'm going to take the heads off tomorrow and check them out. My main question is, is there any way that this engine can be saved or am I pretty much screwed because of the salt water? Any advice would be much appreciated.
          I had an engine that sunk in salt water and they drained and pickled it. The only problem was the cam and lifters got pitted and I ended up rebuilding the entire engine.

If you can, drain it and fill it with fresh oil(cheep stuff from Walmart) and add about two liters of kerosene and spin it as much as you can. The overfilling will wash down the bottom of the engine.

Drain and repeat twice.

If you pull the heads, pull the lifters and clean the cam lobes and oil them. Soak the lifters in light oil or kerosene.

Comment

Working...
          X