On board battery charger-gctid364635

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On board battery charger-gctid364635

I removed the defective (original) battery charger from my 00 ciera 2855. The one i removed is a Pro Marine Flyback 15 amp, 3 bank charger. It had failed and killed my batteries in the process. This weekend I replaced both batteries with new 27 series dual purpose marine batteries. I also removed the defective charger. I would like reccommendations for a quality, reasonably priced replacement charger. I have seen Noco and MinnKota units that look like they would do the trick.

My original charger was hard wired to the boats electrical panel. There are 3 wires providing power to the charger. Black white and green. I assume this is standard 110v wiring. Going on this assumption, if my new charger comes with a regular plug in for a wall outlet (most seem to come this way), what would be wrong with cutting the plug off and hard wire it like the old one was??

This is the way I would go:

http://www.marinco.com/product/12-am...attery-charger

As for installing the charger- yes, you could just cut the plug off and wire it in.

Comment

RMSLLC wrote:
      This weekend I replaced both batteries with new 27 series dual purpose marine batteries.
      IMO, there's no such thing as a good mutli-purpose [COLOR]"#0000FF" wrote:
      I'll-be-your-Cranking-Battery[/COLOR] -slash- [COLOR]"#0000FF" wrote:
      I'll-be-your-House-Load-Battery-also[/COLOR] type battery.

I'd encourage you to return these and purchase a good cranking battery, and several true Deep Cycle batteries for your House Loads, and keep the chemistry the same.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

If you cut the plug off you will void any warranty and won't be able to return it if you have a problem.

When changing mine I bought a heavy duty plastic cord socket and wired it to the boat 120v wiring. Then plugged the new charger into the socket keeping the new electronic item in tact.

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
          IMO, there's no such thing as a good mutli-purpose [COLOR]"#0000FF" wrote:
          I'll-be-your-Cranking-Battery[/COLOR] -slash- [COLOR]"#0000FF" wrote:
          I'll-be-your-House-Load-Battery-also[/COLOR] type battery.

I'd encourage you to return these and purchase a good cranking battery, and several true Deep Cycle batteries for your House Loads, and keep the chemistry the same.

Rick,

I don't disagree on the starting versus deep cycle discussion, however I have had two full seasons of on the hook (every weekend) with the combo (starting/Deep Cycle) type 27 batteries with no generator for full daily charging with minimal charging in the morning to heat water tank. And I start the 7.4L from the house bank with ease.

Depending upon the batteries the OP purchased, 850 CA is typical for a type 27, do you think that's enough for starting?

The Amp Hour ratings are very close when putting 2 type 27 together in parrallel gives you 200 to 220Ah depending upon manufacture.

I cannot comment on using golf cart batteries, as I haven't used them, but our usage is typical with all the devices and gadgets for 3 days on the hook and we have more than 50% left of a charge. So far my short term experience has been very good for this type of battery.

Comment

RMSLLC

Contact ProMariner. http://promariner.com/upgrade_charger.php

They have a great program I took advantage of.

I could not be happier with their support either after my charger had an issue last summer. They replaced it under warranty and life is good.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...%2C+Promariner

Comment

onthelake wrote:
              Rick,

Depending upon the batteries the OP purchased, 850 CA is typical for a type 27, do you think that's enough for starting?
              These are what I bought

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...___#fragment-2

They are rated at 750 CA

Comment

RMSLLC wrote:
                The one i removed is a Pro Marine Flyback 15 amp, 3 bank charger.
                The one the factory put on my boat was junk and also failed.

RMSLLC wrote:
                This weekend I replaced both batteries with new 27 series dual purpose marine batteries.
                So your boat now has two banks, not three, of flooded cell batteries?

Follow the recommendations from the battery manufacturer for charging. What is the battery manufacturer and part number?

RMSLLC wrote:
                I would like reccommendations for a quality, reasonably priced replacement charger.
                If remaining with flooded cell, then ballpark about 10A per battery. If switching to AGM, then more current is required. Again follow the recommendations from the battery manufacturer.

When my Pro Marine failed I replaced it with a http://www.charlesindustries.com/mai...5000SP charger. This is a terrific charger! I am very happy with this device and would recommend it highly. They offer a full range of current outputs.

RMSLLC wrote:
                My original charger was hard wired to the boats electrical panel. There are 3 wires providing power to the charger. Black white and green. I assume this is standard 110v wiring. Going on this assumption, if my new charger comes with a regular plug in for a wall outlet (most seem to come this way), what would be wrong with cutting the plug off and hard wire it like the old one was??
                All the wiring, both the AC and the DC must fully comply with ABYC standards for proper safety. http://www.marinco.com/page/abyc-sta...e: <br /> Here is a link w/ some of the requirements.

Yes, it is acceptable to cut-off the NEMA 5-15 plug on the end of the new charger cord and properly wire that into the existing junction block.

Another option is to provide a GFCI-protected receptacle in the engine room, with the GFCI device located outside the ignition-protected area, in-accordance with the ABYC requirements.

Here is an example.

Comment

Nehalennia wrote:
                  RMSLLC

Contact ProMariner. http://promariner.com/upgrade_charger.php

They have a great program I took advantage of.

I could not be happier with their support either after my charger had an issue last summer. They replaced it under warranty and life is good.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...%2C+Promariner
                  I doubt a 12 year old charger will have any kind of warranty remaining. I will call them tomorrow to inquire about the upgrade though. Thanks for the link!

Comment

wingless wrote:

Here is an example.

I have something like that in mind. As someone posted above, it makes sense to leave the plug in tact for warranty purposes and for ease of replacement in the future. I think I will connect the 3 wires that used to go straight into the battery charger, to a GFCI outlet and place it somewhere convenient in the engine room.

Comment

RMSLLC wrote:
                      to a GFCI outlet and place it somewhere convenient in the engine room.
                      I was unable to locate an ignition-protected GFCI receptacle. Maybe you'll have better luck, otherwise it needs to be outside the ignition-protected area.

Comment

RMSLLC wrote:
                        I doubt a 12 year old charger will have any kind of warranty remaining. I will call them tomorrow to inquire about the upgrade though. Thanks for the link!
                        First, ProMariner doesn't require it's still under warranty. It is there upgrade program.

RMSLLC wrote:
                        I have something like that in mind. As someone posted above, it makes sense to leave the plug in tact for warranty purposes and for ease of replacement in the future. I think I will connect the 3 wires that used to go straight into the battery charger, to a GFCI outlet and place it somewhere convenient in the engine room.
                        Anyway in my opinion and by ABYC's standards, an outlet has no business in a gasoline engine bay... period. Also the Promariner model you want is direct wired (read hardwired) and not attached to a plug. The Promariner Pronautic 1240i that I upgraded from my Flyback 12/20 is ignition protected and designed to be in the engine bay. Many of their chargers do have a cord on them but are designed for fishing boats or where the charger will be located in an exposed area outside of the engine bay or aboard a boat with an outboard. If you had one on a fishing boat for instance with an outboard, you would maybe plug it into an extension cord in your driveway.

Comment

Good call on the outlet. Ideally a hard wired charger is the way to go. I will call Pro Marine and see what they can do on an upgrade.

Comment

Nehalennia wrote:
                            Anyway in my opinion and by ABYC's standards, an outlet has no business in a gasoline engine bay... period.
                            Fortunately the ABYC standards are black and white, are dictated by the opinion of a former locksmith and explicitly define the conditions where a NEMA receptacle may and may not be located in an engine room.

Again, follow the ABYC standards.

Thank goodness we now have Rep Point icons, but no longer have a report post icon...

Comment

This topic cites chapter and verse of ABYC standards defining what is acceptable and not about adding a NEMA receptacle in an engine room.

Comment

Working...
                              X