May Freeze Tonight!!-gctid364141

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May Freeze Tonight!!-gctid364141

Just saw in the weather report that it may freeze here in Indiana tonight.

It has been in the low to mid 70's for nearly 3 weeks now, and we took the boat out for the first spash about a week ago. I trailer the boat and keep it in storage (unheated/ pole barn) when not on the local lakes.

My question, do you all suggest I run out to the storage place tonight and try to drain the engine? I've seen varying weather reports that it may hit around 32 degrees, and another report stated it would only be around 36 degrees....Ug guess I should have waited to splash!

I would, the problem with weather reports is that it only gives you generalities, not what it will be specifically where YOUR boat is...

And, it's only 2 plugs on the engine, 2 plugs or caps on the manifolds, pull off the lower end of the hose that is connected to the front water pump, pull off the water intake hose and point it down in the bilge..

Oh yes and the Cobra drive does have those 3 little plugs in the tilt housing, that sometimes hold water (esp the one on the port side).....takes you all of 20 min....
    88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Not worth the risk...Drain it asap.

Comment

If this is the only night it is expected to be freezing, and the temperature prediction is just marginally close to or within freezing temps, it might be easier to just run out to the barn and run the engine on muffs until it warms up, and then call it a day. With the engine warmed up, it would need to hit freezing temps for quite a while before the water in the engine freezes. If there are no freezing temps in the works after tonight, you should be fine. Just my two cents...

Comment

The first boat I owned had a High preformance race motor in it (read $$$$$). It froze and busted the block, I was living in Indiana at the time. The weather was getting cold at night, but warmed up in the day, my dad always said that a block would have to be below freezing for several days to do any damage. The marine mechanic told me otherwise, after it was too late. He said that the engine compartment can stay freezing during an otherwise warmer day, so if it got below freezing several nights in a row, it could have an accumulation effect, which it did, hence, my shiny new motor, which I did not need. Now, go drain your motor.

Take Care,

Rick

Comment

Similar report here in NJ... I just ran outside and put a shop light with a 100w bulb in the bilge. Hopefully that will get me to tomorrow.

Tue

Mar 27

6 am

27┬░ F

Precip:

0%

7 am

27┬░ F

Precip:

0%

8 am

28┬░ F

Precip:

0%

9 am

30┬░ F

Precip:

0%

Comment

You should use a double pigtail, and 2 separate bulbs if you're using that method. Ever hear of Murphy's Law.... what could go wrong will. Should that one bulb burn out, you're in trouble. I'd think that 60W bulbs would be adequate. They throw a fair amount of heat in a confined area.
              Bob Hawes.
              Kelowna, B.C.
              1998 Trophy 2052 WA
              4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Working...
              X