Extending my trim tabs on my 96 2855 Bayliner-gctid535011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extending my trim tabs on my 96 2855 Bayliner-gctid535011

Wondering if anyone has done this? If so what would you recomend for length and width? The trims that are on this boat are useless if you have people on the bench seat. This should also help to get it on the step faster.

"Kootney" post=535011 wrote:
    Wondering if anyone has done this? If so what would you recomend for length and width? The trims that are on this boat are useless if you have people on the bench seat. This should also help to get it on the step faster.

[attachment]2458 wrote:
    image_2014-02-04.jpg[/attachment]
    This is what I did with my Regal.

Attached them to the original's with stainless rivets.

[attachment]2459 wrote:
    IMG_0312.jpg[/attachment]

Comment

That's exactly what I was planning on doing. Thanks, I appreciate the post. Now I can bring a picture into my friend at the metal shop.

Comment

I think you will really like the results.

Doug
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned
        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I like this idea. Curious about dimensions. How much larger on the top piece and how far do the flanges hang down please.
          Big Lena
          1998 Bayliner 2858
          7.4 L Bravo 3

Comment

The original tabs on my 2452 were 12x9 and I upgraded to the 12x12 with drop fins as indicated earlier in this thread. I can now stay on plane 200 RPM less and my idle wander is nil because at idle speeds, I can drop them all the way down and they seem to provide more control and less wander. Also, backing up is better too. Getting on plane is very fast as well. Its a win win... and the good news is the new tabs are the same width so all I had to do was slide the old tab out of the transom mount and slide the new one in.

Old:

New:

Doug ;}
            MMSI: 338068776
            "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

"Clarence" post=535185 wrote:
              I like this idea. Curious about dimensions. How much larger on the top piece and how far do the flanges hang down please.
              Sorry I don't have the boat any more and we are in Florida so I don't have access to any of my drawings.

If I remember we added about 4 inches to the width, 2" too the length and the drop down part id just under 2" at the back tapering to the front.

They were modelled after tabs that Bennett sell.

We did get some turbulence next to the hull and would suggest some kind of seal if you go wider.

Comment

"Go Aweigh2452" post=535206 wrote:
                The original tabs on my 2452 were 12x9 and I upgraded to the 12x12 with drop fins as indicated earlier in this thread. I can now stay on plane 200 RPM less and my idle wander is nil because at idle speeds, I can drop them all the way down and they seem to provide more control and less wander. Also, backing up is better too. Getting on plane is very fast as well. Its a win win... and the good news is the new tabs are the same width so all I had to do was slide the old tab out of the transom mount and slide the new one in.

Old:

New:

Nice job,

Because of the space available on the BL your tabs appear to be the way to go.

I don't see much room to go wider the way the back of the hull is shaped.

Comment

"check737" post=535222 wrote:
                  "Go Aweigh2452" post=535206 wrote:

Old:

New:

Nice job,

Because of the space available on the BL your tabs appear to be the way to go.

I don't see much room to go wider the way the back of the hull is shaped.
                  You really don't want to remove the transom mounts and fill and install new mounts to go wider. These new ones (12x12) are all you need. I think it would be overkill and the trim tab buttons would be kind of easy to over correct by just a quick touch... Stick with the 12x12 drop fin. You can buy just the tab without the mount so you will save a bundle that way...
                  Doug ;}
                  MMSI: 338068776
                  "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

[attachment]2458 wrote:
                    The problem we have with these tabs is that we already have the drop down fins. I'm thinking about cutting them

off and adding more width and length with the drop down fins. How much,good question??? B) B)

Comment

I put experimental drop fin extensions on my 1999 2655 back in 2007 but wound up taking them off due to asymmetric yaw when one was down more than the other one. I think I have video of the water flow at speed but they will take some searching

JWood.

Comment

"3 wide" post=536697 wrote:

[attachment]2458 wrote:
                        The problem we have with these tabs is that we already have the drop down fins. I'm thinking about cutting them

off and adding more width and length with the drop down fins. How much,good question??? B) B)
                        Has anybody come close to doing this to stock 2000-09 2855 Tabs??

Comment

These trim tabs worked out well. I got up on the step a lot faster and I was able to control the lean I the boat with passengers onboard. I I I definitely recommend this change!!! The riveting isn't pretty but it works and you can't see it under water.

Attached files

Comment

Working...
                          X